Number4

"I'm counting to 3, then I'm getting your dad."
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Woodstock, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Ford Explorer 4.6l
I picked this from a 2000 (as I recall) Lincoln Cont or Town Car (I really should have paid more attention.)
I've seen the same set up on Grand Marquis / Crownvics and Mustangs.

This pic shows the entire Fuse box, secondary relay box, harness and power supply line.
FuseBoxw_Harness_Cropped_zps56a48ada.jpg

This fuse box still had all it's goodies in side.
FuseBox_Cropped_zps525d1fda.jpg

Basically, as I've noticed, this fuse box setup sets on the other side of the engine compartment from the battery. So you end up getting a "remote" fuse box with a long power lead to run to your existing fuse box. No need to attach directly to your battery, you can utilize the battery connection point to your existing fuse box. Cleaner install this way. This will fit perfectly in the passenger side of the engine compartment in the open space.
Wire1_Cropped_zps7b50c3d1.jpg

I was after this originally because it has the electric fan connector I want for my fan mod. I'll be able to utilize the fuses and relays that were OE with this unit. (Sorry the pic is rotated, couldn't get it to stay corrected.)
Wire2_Cropped_zps8adb52a7.jpg

You'll also notice I maintained some wire leads from the rest of the fuses. These can be utilized at any other point for other gizmo additions.

They rang me up $15 for the fuse box and $17 for the "harness."
The relays alone in this are worth far more than that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you run a ground the secondary fuse box. I had a similar idea, I pulled the the power distribution box from under the hood of a donor. But I'm not sure if it needs a ground or not.

No, just ran the positive cable to where the stock one meets the under hood box. Each item that gets power from the new box, will be grounded. I'll post some pix later.

So the positive cable mounts at the battery. I've only used a couple of the fuses so most of the wiring is just coiled up, looking like crap.

I used cheap Simpson Ties to mock up mouthing brackets. Then used a heavier gauge one, vise and 5lbs hammer to make the final version. Won't show much in pictures.

IMG_2717.JPG

IMG_2718.JPG

IMG_2719.JPG

IMG_2720.JPG

That is a huge help, the pictures are perfect. I'm going to try and install mine tomorrow but I think I'm going to locate mine inside the cab.

Back