Screwing into the headliner | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Screwing into the headliner

I have a neon setup in my head that I really want to do, and it involves putting some tubes up on the ceiling. My question is, I want to screw the tubes up there, but I don't know what type of screws to use, or where I should screw them in at. I DO NOT want to take the headliner down.

If anyone has screwed something into the headliner, please share your ideas PLEASE! Thanks. :cool:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Make sure you hit a crossmember or it is going through the roof. When you drill the holes, get "drill stops" that clamp on your drill bit with a set screw so when you bust through you don't go through the roof. Use sheet metal screw with a blunt end (usually come in brass), so that if you screw them in too far, you have less chance of making a point in your roof. Most of the roof area has a single skin of metal. You can see where the crossmembers are, but you should really consult a set of drawings from someplace like AllData so that you don't drill through a wiring harness.

Will do, gotta look for a set of plans. Thanks for your help.

My best advice for you is to suck it up and remove the headliner. It's way too risky not to. Plus, with the headliner down you will be able to make a sturdy mount above the headliner and not have to ever worry about the light falling down.

Yeah, but I heard once you take the headliner down it'll never be the same again. Plus, it's a pain to take it down. :(

You can always replace it with shag carpeting and call it Retro-plorer.

Back