Sway bar bent? Stabilizer / sway bar links worn | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sway bar bent? Stabilizer / sway bar links worn

Thanks for the follow up Brakeman. For anyone using aftermarket end links with poly or thermoplastic rubber bushings, the 18-22 ft/lb. factory torque spec listed in the Ford Workshop Manual applies to STOCK end links. The OEM bushings are very hard, and compress very little. Also, measuring torque accurately on any rubber or poly bushing is difficult, if not impossible. As noted above, this is why most aftermarkets such as ES, Moog, and Prothane don't list torque specs and instruct to tighten visually and by feel.

The only reason I was tightening to 26 ft/lbs was because on the bags that the Moog endlinks came in, it stated "Tighten to OEM specification". Which I quickly realized was way too much.

With warm weather finally here, I installed the warranty replacement links today. I put on ramps to keep the bar unloaded. After removing the broken bits from the bar, I noticed a lot of play in the sway bar bushings. So after loose fitting the links, I replaced the bushings with blue Moogs.

Right or wrong, I have the barrel nuts on the bottom. Just much easier and should not matter. Hand tighten both sides. Then used wrenches to progressively tighten each side until I could no longer turn the center sleeve. I then went with 1 more full revolution. I do not want these to break again. 1 the ad is showing thru the nuts.

Test drive to let the bar seat into tbe bushings. No noise. Back on ramps, still can't move the sleeves. I will monitor and report back if the nuts loosen, or if I find that I am able to move the sleeves.
20150410_191518_zpsfern7jfm.jpg

Back