• Register Today It's free!

Roof-top Cargo Basket

xder345

Reaction score
City, State
Durham, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited 4WD
I just got my Curt 18115 roof basket with the 18117 extension from Amazon over the weekend. Put it on and I'm really happy with it:

2015-02-07%2014.58.05%20-%20Copy.jpg

2015-02-07%2014.58.26%20-%20Copy.jpg

It's just the right length with the extension. It also fits into a standard garage opening mounted to the factory cross-bars:

2015-02-07%2014.59.28%20-%20Copy.jpg

It's not staying on the truck full time though. It's quite noisy at anything above 40 mph and ruins the view out of the sunroofs. I got it mainly to hold a bunch of stuff when we head on vacations.

It's not a Yakima or Thule, but at 3x the price I can't justify it for occasional use.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Be aware that the load limit on the roof rails is 100lbs evenly distributed.

How much does the cargo basket weigh?

Be aware that the load limit on the roof rails is 100lbs evenly distributed.

One of the main reasons, I went with one of these. Can carry more weight and it's MUCH easier to load. It's pricey but since it has no real effect on fuel economy, I figure with the 1,000's of miles we've logged it has probably saved us enough in gas consumption to justify the added cost compared to roof mounted boxes that just kill MPGs.

thule-cargo-3.jpg

So, yes, we have the tow package, but we usually put the bikes on the back. The idea for the roof basket is to carry light but bulky items such as beach chairs, umbrella, plastic toys, kites, etc.

We also have a hitch basket, but I can't very well mount both the bike rack and hitch basket at once, so I went for the roof basket as well.

The basket with extension comes in at just under 40lbs leaving us with about 60lbs of cargo capacity. Plenty.

Back