Reprogramming Remote Keyless Entry | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Reprogramming Remote Keyless Entry

Chris94LTD

Reaction score
City, State
Coral Springs, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Limited
I have recently purchased a '94 Explorer Limited and love it! I have accidently deprogrammed my remote entry by removing fuse #1 while the ignition was on. The symptoms I experienced were that the locks cycled and the horn beebed once. After visiting my local Ford dealership, he said they normally charge $35 to reprogram keyless entries, but after some prodding, said that I could try cycling the ignition 8 times then press a key on the remote. His method was correct, but not for my particular year. After some searching, I found "Remote Keyless Entry TSB 97-24-13" at http://www.v8sho.com/SHO/Remote Keyless Entry TSB 97-24-13.htm . It said for the 1994 model to "Turn ignition to RUN or ACC. Momentarily jump pins in programming connector located in left rear quarter panel area ..." The trouble is - the keyless module has three connectors with 13-16 pins each and I don't know which pins to momentarily short. I do not see any other eligible connectors inside the panel. Would someone be able to guide me with this problem? :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the connector you are looking for is light gray and about the size of your finger tip from the last knuckle forward, and only has 2 thick pins in it (about the diameter of a pen ink cartridge), also are you certain that you have a factory keyless remote system, they were pretty rare in 94, the remotes - fcc id # should be - GQ43VT4T, and TRW part# 3165189

does this process apply to my '97 as well. with the circumstance of rebuilding a wreck, i didn't receive the remote, but i ordered two off of ebay for my model year. he said he'd include programming instructions, but i'll believe it when i see it.

Weebo, for yours, it is letter D on that sheet, but don't go to the ACC position, stop at the Run position.

Got a question...on the sheet, where it has the troubleshooting section. There is a sub-section about the problem with turning off the Panic alarms. Their solution is to reroute the antanna assembly. Where is the antanna assembly??

Todd,

Thanks a lot for your help!

My programming connector turned out to be a black receptacle type, hiding with the tail light connectors on the left of the washer fluid reservoir.

My remote entry was definitely factory installed, with the Ford key fob numbers matching the ones you gave.

I was so lucky to find this truck. It was originally from Texas and is in mint condition. It had 116k mi when I bought it, 119k now. Only work I did was to change front pads and rotors, v-belt, some filters, oil and tighten some bolts on the I-beam suspension.

you copied my user name. heh

Originally posted by weebo
does this process apply to my '97 as well.

programming a 95/96/97

cycle iginition from off to run 5 times within 10 sec, ending in run, all doors will lock then unlock to confirm programming mode, press any button on the 1st remote transmitter. door locks will cycle(lock then unlock) to confirm programming. to program additional remotes - press any button on the next remote(upto 4 total possible) locks will cycle again. turn iginition off. locks will again cycle to indicate the end of the programming mode.

programming a 98/99/00/01

same as above - but cycle iginition off to run 8 times within 10 seconds

Excellent! Thanks for the great info!

Well so far tonight I have learned an awful lot about my 97 E.B. from this web site. Maybe someone can help me with this reprogramming. Anyone know the programming instructions for a 95 Ford Windstar. I am sure its just like the X of the same year but just like to make sure before I short the van out. :confused:

Firedawgy,

For the 95 Windstar, follow the instructions letter "H" from the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) link listed in my original post ...

H. Turn ignition to RUN or ACC. Momentarily jump pins in programming connector located behind glove compartment. All doors will lock then unlock to confirm programming mode. Press any button on 1st transmitter. The door locks will lock then unlock to confirm programming. Press any button on 2nd transmitter (up to 4 transmitters total possible). Turn ignition to OFF. The door locks will lock then unlock to confirm programming.

Hi I have 98 Explorer sport and it only came with one remote. I got a couple more from ebay and was trying to program the new ones. I turn the key from off to on 8 times leaving it on on.
the door locks the first time I go from off to on. But when I get to the 8 turn the door locks don't unlock to confirm programming. Am I doing something wrong or do I need to do something else?

It sounds like your current keyless entry system is an aftermarket system. Your locks shouldn't lock the first time you turn your key to on with the Ford factory system. The only time I have seen that happen was on aftermarket keyless entry systems, usually as a part of a carjacking feature. If you have the factory system, you turn your key off-on 8 times. On the 8th time, leave your key on. At that time your locks should lock and then unlock. Then you would press a button on each remote to program it. Each time you press a button, your locks will cycle to confirm. Do you have the keypad on the outside of your driver's door? If not, then you probably don't have the factory keyless entry system. If you do, then it's possible your RAPS module might be bad.

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't have a keypad outside my door. But the remote itself that came with my explorer has the ford name on remote itself. It's still a ford product from the looks of it.

Ford also offers a remote entry system as a dealer installed add on that gets installed by the dealer rather than during manufacturing. It still carries the Ford logos, but is manufactured by another company. That sounds like what you have since you don't have the keypad. In '97 the only way to get the remote keyless entry was with the keypad. I am assuming that '98 was the same way.

I have a 94' limited too and I dont have the remote key that came with it and I am planning on getting another one and I am going to try to program it myself b/c the ford dealership said they would charge me $60 to do it....what did u mean by "momentairly jump the pins in the programming connector located in the rear?" after u turn the ignition to "acc"

Chris94LTD: So did you get the remote to work. I just got one and I'm still unclear to which pins we jump together?? On which connector??? Thanks!

how to unlock ALL doors when key turned off

On my 98 XLT, how can I get it to unlock ALL the doors when I shut off the ignition ? It locks all 4, but only unlocks the drivers door. I could not find any info in the owners manual.

I would be interested in how to make the truck unlock the doors after the truck is turned off as well.

When I first got the 97, I had to program a keyless remote fob for it. To do this (on a 97 anyway) turn your ignition on and off 5 times within 10 seconds, after the 5th time the locks will lock then unlock, then press any button on your remote and the locks will cycle again. Then the new remote is programed.

Wish it was that easy for my 94 :confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So who has a 91-94 and has succesfully programed a remote entry????

Back