Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Ford Explorer - Ranger Tires & Wheels

Notices

Ford Explorer - Ranger Tires & Wheels Want to know what size tire or wheel combo will work with your Ford Explorer or Ranger based vehicle? Interested in Beadlocks or Dubs? Learn all about them here.

235 75 15 or 31x9.5 15

Old 04-26-2002, 04:01 AM   #1
Big Bear Bob
Big Bear area of Southern Ca. near "Rim of the World drive", & Sugarloaf Mountain
98 XLT /01 Dodge 1500 4X4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Dk Exp 235 75 15 or 31x9.5 15

I've heard arguments on both sides of this issue, but can someone tell me just how much difference will 31' make in on and off road performance over the stock 235 75r 15'. My wife and I just bought the explorer and moved to the mountains and understand that we sometimes get snow as early September and as late as June. We also have some great forestry and BLM roads (we stay on the ones rated easy to moderate) that my wife and I have begun to take advantage of. One of the most common arguments I've heard has been that getting larger tires on an Explorer was more of cosmetic than practical improvement, and that putting 31" tires will give me more ground clearance but that strain on the drive train and the drop in performance was not worth the slight gain in ground clearance. I plan to put BFG AT KO's on before this fall and at first really wanted the 31" tires, but if they are going to cause problems with stability and not really improve performance, I have to rethink this.

I would appreciate any knowledgeable response from anyone out there.

The Tire and Ford dealers have me more confused than I ever thought I could be over a simple tire selection, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for your opinions in advance

Bob

Last edited by Big Bear Bob; 04-26-2002 at 04:21 AM.
Big Bear Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 04-26-2002, 07:32 AM   #2
JDraper
Somewhat Functional
McVeytown, PA

'11 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I have the 31 x 10.5-15 BFG ko's on my truck and they do not cause me any problems. I originally had the 235 75R-15's on the vehicle. It does cause your speedometer to read about 5% slow because of the increased tire size and you might lose a hair in acceleration off the line. Additional strain on the drivetrain??? No worse than throwing some gear in the back of the vehicle or having a couple of passengers.

I have no regrets about going with 31's. I think you will find that the only regret that most of the people on the board have about going with 31's is that they didn't get bigger tires!!

"Ex"plorer's: '92 Sport, '94 Sport, '01 XLS
Our Crappy Website
JDraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 12:20 PM   #3
swak6287
Rockwall tx
99 XLT

Vehicle Specs

how big of a different is a 31 from a 32, besides 1 inch?
i know they make 31 10.5 15 and 32 10.5 15. will those fit our 15*7 rims?

Old 04-26-2002, 02:42 PM   #4
Alec
Elite Moderator
Houston, Texas

2008 JK

Vehicle Specs

31x10.50x15s and 32x10.5x15s will definately both fit stock rims. The question is, will they fit the truck? It's a draw between who needs a lift to fit 31s and who doesn't, but you definately need a lift or trimming to fit 32s without rubbing.

Alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 10:04 PM   #5
Big Bear Bob
Big Bear area of Southern Ca. near "Rim of the World drive", & Sugarloaf Mountain

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
speedo calibrattion

Thanks for the info,now. I'm curious about speedo calibrattion, and who does it on a 98, also is there a 2" lift kit out there for ther 98 and if so where can I find one and about how much does it cost? I have 373 lsd and don't want to through the shifting and the ABS ETC that I've heard about. I've heard stories about shifting and sluggishness problems and would just like to know how and if I can keep it close without having to go to 30 9.5 X 15".I was told by ford dealer that they would do a pcm adjustment for about $70.00, then another dealer said that the pcm adjustment was not avaialbe for either the Eplorer or Ranger.

Thanks again
Bob

Last edited by Big Bear Bob; 05-11-2002 at 05:35 PM.
Old 05-10-2002, 10:27 PM   #6
Big Bear Bob

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Re: speedo calibrattion

whoops

Last edited by Big Bear Bob; 05-11-2002 at 01:40 AM.

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page