• Register Today It's free!

correct way to say bilstein?

mosinman

Reaction score
City, State
Coppell, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Yes, this is a stupid post. But it has been bugging me. Do you say Bilsteen with a hard E or Bilstine with An I? The proper German in me says to say Bilstein with an I.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i think it is bilsteen

Actually it is Bil-STINE. Just listen to their company voice mail and how thier reps say it. Remember it is a German company, kinda like Beer-STINE.

--Sean

Thanks DesertSpive. Like most, I have allways said Bilstein with an E. After learning a small amount about German, I thought I was probably saying it wrong. No matter. Everyone knows what you are talking about either way you say it. It was just bugging me.

Just like how you pronounce Frankenstein... [frank in STINE]

But if you watch the old movie Young Frankenstein you may pronounce it [Fronk in Steen], so you might want to say [Bill Steen]. LOL

having taken german for four years in high school, the rule for pronouncing "ie" words was always to pronounce the second letter. so Bilstein sound like "Bill-SHTINE" the "sh" sound comes from the S and T being next to each other. thats another rule. it also depends on which part of the country you are from too. cant helps you out with that though. hope this helps.

Bilstein

auf deutch "bill-SCHTINE!"

Back