Does anyone index theor sparl plugs? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does anyone index theor sparl plugs?

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Does anyone index their spark plugs?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What do you mean by "index". Please explain.

Spark plug Indexing means getting the "L"-shaped electrode's backside to lie upward towards the roof of the combustion chamber between the valves.

The process ups HP as well as combustion effieiency.

Originally posted by aldive

The process ups HP...

does it really?
i dont see how.
i'm not saying that it doesnt, but i didnt think that spark plugs and wires actually boosts the engines horsepower. they can bring back power to where it was if the old plugs/wires were bad.

How does that increase effeciency? It doesn't make sense in my head. Please explain.

Originally posted by leenjen
does it really?
i dont see how.
i'm not saying that it doesnt, but i didnt think that spark plugs and wires actually boosts the engines horsepower. they can bring back power to where it was if the old plugs/wires were bad.

Lee, its not the plug and or wire, its the position of the electrode in the combustion chamber.

The idea is to expose the spark to the incoming air/fuel charge and not to have the spark shrouded from the charge by the electrode. I indexed mine for a period of several years and then when I changed the plugs I didn't bother to do it again. No, I didn't notice any difference in performance.:redexp:

In my neverending quest for better gas mileage, I plan to index the plugs at the next change.

More efficient burn often equated with better gas mileage,

We used to index okugs on all of our race motors.

So which way should they be faceing?

thanks aldive

Interesting article. Changed my plugs about 10K miles ago. Had I had this idea, I might have spent an ectra 2-3 hours to test this out.
If anyone else tries this, please post your results.
Karl

I use to work on a dragster for a friend and we found absolutley no difference in engine performance by indexing the spark plug.

Back