Engine stalls for no reason...HELP!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine stalls for no reason...HELP!!!

dbdb

Reaction score
City, State
Westminster, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Sport
Ok I have a 93 Sport Explorer.
The enigine stalls on me every so often for now reason. Yes the CEL light comes on, but goes away when I try to restart the engine. It wants to turn over, but nothing. 2 things I noticed:
1) There seems to be too much oil according to the dipstick, might have the wrong dip stick for that model don't know.
2) If I let the car sit for a while, and it varies how long, sometimes 2 hours, sometimes 24 hours, it will usually start right back up.
But eventually it will stall out again. I thought maybe the fuel filter, but no one can get a code to show them what the issue is. HELP please anyone! Thanx.
BTW, recent work done to my baby was having the Valve Modulator replaced because of a slipping tranny.
Thanks in advance.

It sounds like your fuel pump is going out. Next time this happens, check for fuel pressure at the injector rail. No pressure = replace pump.

Check your idle selonoid.
Mine is stalling out, with a 4.0 SOHC, and a mechanic friend told me that this was also occurring on alot of the fords they work on. If you can find the selonoid, called the I.A.C. in Haynes, tap it lightly with a screwdriver to see if it loosens frees up the idle.

Idle speed controll motor.
The symtoms are:

1. The engine starts, but only with yyour foot on the gas. If you take your foot off it stops.

2. A bad idol speed control motor can also cause a waveyness in the engine.

3. The hotter the weather is the worse it is.

It's your Idal Speed Controll Motor. First call a dealership with your ven#, due to many models on all Fords have recalls. If there isn't a recall on it, first remove it and clean it inside and out. See if that works. If it doesn't then replace it. It's about 80-100 bucks i think for the part. I had the same problem, I first cleaned mine and it worked fine for a while, but now I think that I will end up replacing it. I think early 90's are the years that where recalled.

Back