Front End Alignment

Roadking

Reaction score
City, State
Milwaukee, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT SOHC
'97 Explorer - 4.0L SOHC - 65K

I need a front end alignment as the drivers side wheel is out of camber? (tipped out at the bottom) When looking at it from the front.
Plus, I've followed my wife driving the Explorer and the front and rear wheels don't seem to track in the same line.(will an alignment fix this?)

What questions do I ask a the repair place?

Is an alignment on the Explorer different from other 4 wheel drive vehicles?
I called two shops that said they don't do Ford trucks. The third one said yes.
They want $56 for the front end alignment. Do they need special equipment to do this?
Is that a fair price?

I did some searches on the topic and can't find any basic information.
If you could share the groups vast knowledge on this subject I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

RoadKing:eek:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, specialized equipment is needed, and that's about an average price for what I've heard quoted for alignments. Do it. Make your tires happy. :)

Does it make a lot of difference who you go, a nation tire dealer(Goodyear) or the self employed mechanic's garage.
I there any type of alignment systems the are better then others.
Don't some do laser and some are just measurements with a tape measure.
Should I look for a type of alignment rack.

Also, with wheel balance should I ask for High speed balance or the normal balance?

Who Knows?

Thanks,
RoadKing
:cool:

Watching a vehicle while following it will always give you the illusion that it isn't tracking stright. This is because the front track width is wider than the rear. So when you are following the vehicle it looks like it is crab walking down the road.

The Goodyear dealer said that's fine (to dogleg) as long as it's going in a stright line and not pulling to one side.

Is that true?

Please, let me know.

Thanks,
Roadking:confused:

Is there any questions I should ask the shop manager?
Is an alignment the same for almost every Explorer.
I don't know how many Explorers they do, is there any tip off that might tell me if they know what there doing?

Thanks,
RoadKing:banghead:

Back