Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > General Explorations!!

Notices

General Explorations!! Closed to new posts. Place new posts in our new model year appropriate forum

Resetting computer with ignition switch

Old 08-26-2002, 11:47 PM   #1
93greenex
Yakima Valley, WA
'93 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Resetting computer with ignition switch

So I've been trying to diagnose the flashing 4x4 lights on my girlfriend's '96...

The question: is turning the ignition key on and off 5 times the same for resetting the computer as disconnecting the battery for awhile?

When I did that the door locks all made a kerchunk noise at the same time, so I assume something happened.

This did not solve the 4x4 problem, and I am going to get the speed sensors checked, but I am curious about the reset procedure.
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 08-26-2002, 11:50 PM   #2
rydinhigh
Boost Junky
East Hartford, CT

1999 EB 5.0L V8

Vehicle Specs

dude take the - side off the battery. turn the lights on just to make sure theres no more juice left in the system, then wait about 10 min. Put the battery cable back on and call it a day.

Supercharger is for sale check out
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1039257#post1039257
Old 08-26-2002, 11:51 PM   #3
Crankcase
Moderator Emeritus
Vancouver B.C, Canada

1992 XL Ex-Police

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
CAN

The 4X4 lights flash in a certain pattern, to coincide with the certain fault in the system. There is threads here on what they mean while flashing.

The only surefire way to reset the computer is to disconnect the batttery, and open the doors for a while.

Ex-Moderator: Modified Explorations Drivelines
New Member Forum

***Guest star poster....
Old 08-27-2002, 01:20 AM   #4
toad
Elite Explorer
Blue Point, Ontario, CANADA

2007 Sport Trac

Vehicle Specs

Ive heard of the key thing, I think some Chevy reset with 3 times on and off, not sure if we can do it or not, but the battery cable works for sure. Good luck

92 XLT, Warrior Shackles & Coil spacers, 2"PA body lift,31"BFG ATs,Milemarker manual hubs.- SOLD
84 MUSTANG CONV. 289 C.I., 08 SUZUKI DR650, Adventure ready!
Old 08-27-2002, 09:00 AM   #5
BradE.
Cincinnati, OH
1997 XLT 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Chances are the flashing lights are a bad sensor somewhere. Last time my 97' X did that it was the Tranny range sensor. No biggie, nice easy fix.

You can reset the computer by unhooking the battery, but then the PCM must relearn all the operating specs of the engine. Or, you can use a code reader/scanner to clear the codes. The code reader/scanner method is preferred. If you don't have a code reader go to AutoZone and ask them to pull the codes for you and then after the problem is fixed have them clear them.

Good Luck!
Old 08-27-2002, 10:11 AM   #6
daniel cauchon
Terrebonne,Province of Quebec
1995 Explorer Limited

Vehicle Specs

Greenex , the kurchung like you say it`s because you entered the programming mode ...in other word to programm a remote control for your alarm system...

Old 08-27-2002, 10:42 AM   #7
jjue
Elite Explorer
sXc Member
Brandon, MS

'07 Nissan Titan CC LE

Vehicle Specs

Yeah, I was just about to say that the ignition 5 times thing is for remote programming, not for resetting the computer.

Old 08-27-2002, 01:57 PM   #8
Robert
Mesa, AZ
'97 4x4 Sport

Vehicle Specs

And, you will probably find that your girlfriend's remotes no longer work. If they don't, turn the key on and off 5 times again leaving the key on the 5th time. Press a button on all of her remotes then turn the key off. I'm not certain if merely going into the programming mode will deactivate the remotes, but I do know that once you've reprogrammed one, you need to do them all since they will loose their programming.

4.56 Powertrax No-Slip, SOHC V6, SuperChip, K&N FIPK (#57-2513-1), Borla cat-back (#14748), 2" torsion lift, 3" PA body lift (#853), Monroe Reflex shocks, 285 75R16 BF Goodrich T/A ko, 2WD mod
Earnhardt Ford, Berge Ford, U-Haul
My Explorer
Old 08-27-2002, 08:25 PM   #9
93greenex
Yakima Valley, WA
'93 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
You're right about the remote. There's a post somewhere in here that I read that claims that the 5 key turns resets the computer. So much for that.

Thanks for the advice on resetting the remote. It was going to be difficult to explain to her how I "fixed" her Ex.

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page