• Register Today It's free!

How do I "burp" cooling system?

BradE.

Reaction score
City, State
Cincinnati, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT 4x4
I tried a search, but could not find any specific information. I am planning on changing the coolant in the X before winter and need to know how to "burp" the system.

I think I just drain it, refill it (recovery tank) almost to the top and leave the cap off the recovery tank and run the engine for about 10 mintues. Then recheck and refill if needed. Is this correct? Or am I missing something?

Thanks Guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would think parking on an incline would help too.

Almost right. Drain radiator and recovery tank. Fill up radiator to about two inches below where filler neck starts and leave the cap off. Start and run engine untill t-stat opens. ( about 10 minutes, and upper radiator hose gets hot) Top off radiator, close cap, and shut off engine. now fill up recovery tank to hot level. Done

Fill the system, but leave the cap off the radiator. Shake the vehicle to remove the big bubbles, and refill as the level goes down. Again, leave the cap off and crank the vehicle. Turn the heat on high. Keep an eye on the coolant level and fill it as it drops. Once the engine gets warm enough to start pushing the coolant out of the radiator, put the cap on. Fill the overflow tank and let the engine run with the heat on for a few minutes. Drive around, do whatever, then the next morning when the engine is completely cool again, recheck the coolant level in both the radiator and overflow tank.

Another thing I've always done is to squeeze the upper radiator hose a few times after you put some coolant in the radiator--this can squeeze any air out that may be trapped in there. Sometimes air bubbles "burp" up into the radiator filler neck when doing so.

How do we drain the reserve tank? or when the radiator is empty does it move into there?

To drain the tank, simply remove hose from the bottom.

Originally posted by aldive
To drain the tank, simply remove hose from the bottom.

Yep. Or, you could suck it out with a turkey baster if you won't feel like undoing the hose.

Man, talk about bringing a thread back from nowhere, this sucker is a year old! :eek: Over a year actually, I'm almost due for another coolant change, luckly, now I know how to burp the system. :D

Back