Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > General Explorations!!

Notices

General Explorations!! Closed to new posts. Place new posts in our new model year appropriate forum

Explorer Life Expectancy?

Old 09-30-2002, 02:19 PM   #1
gard_mc
Charleston, WV
1996 Sport

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Explorer Life Expectancy?

Just wondering what kind of mileage people have had on a basically unmodified explorer before needing major repairs? Mine is pushing 80K and I haven't really had any problems, but don't know what to expect as I get to around 100K. Any horror stories, or hopefully, some toyota comercial type stories of 300K and no problems!
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 09-30-2002, 02:29 PM   #2
Alec
Elite Moderator
Houston, Texas

2008 JK

Vehicle Specs

the first major repair needed is usually the tranny. they can go anywhere from 60-200k miles. if maintained well, the motor can last well beyond 200k miles. everything else on the truck is fairly bulletproof if maintained well. there are minor repairs needed here and there such as sensors and stuff that need to be replaced, but like I said the only major thing is usually the tranny.

Old 09-30-2002, 02:43 PM   #3
aldive
Elite In Memoriam

1999 XLT

Vehicle Specs

and ball joints.

My truck

My Quest for 30

RIP Al Franklin! 1947-2010. Gone but not forgotten! :(
Old 09-30-2002, 02:45 PM   #4
EliteConcept
LaPorte, Indiana
04 Civic LX

Vehicle Specs

mines lasted 11 years / 123,000 miles
i haven't been the only owner though....i'm the second owner got it at 90,000 miles a couple years ago.

so far i've had to replace...
umm let me see...thinking hard
1.I did replace the wheel bearings.
2. I put a new alternator on *130 amp* for my system, i didn't need it though.
thats about it.
HOWEVER i do need to replace ASAP
1. Ball Joints
2. Convert to manual hubs *hopefully before winter comes*

engine runs well like new..

Old 09-30-2002, 02:48 PM   #5
Black Magic
Moderator Emeritus
St. Louis, MO

Explorer Street

Vehicle Specs

I had a 91 that went 380,000 with one Tranny. origional motor.

Old 09-30-2002, 06:56 PM   #6
MONMIX
I fix dents
Millersville , Maryland

2000 Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Now THAT is a funny post !
Ya gotta love a dancing banana

Live your life for a change
My Explorer
Old 09-30-2002, 06:59 PM   #7
Majisto
Austin, Texas
2000 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Almost 73K miles on mine, which isn't a lot, but this truck sees constant abuse. And when I say abuse, I mean it! Tranny feels as strong as day one, and the engine isn't burning any oil at all. The brakes are starting to become a bit soft. Refilled the brake fluid, and am going to replace the pads and bleed the system next week. No big deal. It still stops great when you jam on the brakes (4-wheel discs rule).

The only complaint I have, and this isn't really the Explorer's fault, is just that the ride kinda sucks. I know it's an SUV, and it has a live rear axle, but it rolls like crazy, and whenever I have a cup in the cupholder, it rattles. Especially the one on the right hand side by the passenger. *shrugs* It's not the trucks' fault, it's just the way SUVs are. I'm used to cars, so don't let that stop you from getting the X. One of the main problems is these Wrangles I have on them, and the fact that they need some more air in them.

Overall I love this X, and the SOHC engine is pretty dang powerful with the A/C off

Old 09-30-2002, 07:00 PM   #8
tbomb
Levittown, NY (Long Island)
98 Sport 4.0 SOHC 4x4

Vehicle Specs

my old 91 sport went 128k before it started to nickel and dime us, so we sold it. battery, alternator, power steering - all of that in 2 weeks, so we traded it in for my 98

my sisters (96 xlt) has 109k on it now and it runs like a champ even if it looks like sh*t, but thats just cuz shes a slob.

Like tbomb's, if my X could be like tbomb's." icon34
Old 09-30-2002, 08:43 PM   #9
Stephen
Moderator In Memoriam
Annapolis, MD

'97 Limited

Vehicle Specs

Mine's sitting at 119,700. Tranny went at 70k, its cost $4,000 in service in the past 5 months. New ball joints, new A/C Compressor (they tend to rust) new hub on one side, other stuff I can't think of. The repairs aren't bad, and it still rides nice and tight, few rattles which is really a shocker for a Ford, especially a truck. I'm going to keep it, at least until the tranny goes again (still seems fine).

I'd say go with it, just stay on top of whats going on with it because time makes things a lot worse.

Get a mechanic you can trust, thats tip #1.

Stephen Withrow
Moderator-Ford Industry News Other Makes & Models Off Topic Ramblings
Support the site! Become an -Elite Explorer!
97 Explorer Limited 4X4 SOHC V6
Old 09-30-2002, 09:15 PM   #10
Kadarom Douhrek
Elite Explorer
Santa Anna, TX
'94 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Well, so far mines hit 109,000.
Engine's tight as a drum.
Tranny's still towing trailers.
A/C will freeze you, although we replaced a leaking hose 2 years ago.
Replaced leaking radiator after a rock hit it.

Everything else was paid for by some one elses insurance.
Old 09-30-2002, 10:18 PM   #11
Majisto
Austin, Texas
2000 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Am I the only person who has NEVER had a personal experience with a Ford breaking down? This Explorer is the first car of ours to even show rattles. The past Taurii, and other cars we've owned never showed any rattles, and those cars were driven very often. Fords have never let me down, while GM...well, is a whole 'nother story.

Old 09-30-2002, 10:22 PM   #12
Klowns
Elite Explorer
Mesa, Az

'95 XL

Vehicle Specs

Mine rattles a bit somewhere in the front part where I sit, Can't figure out what it is though, since it only rattles signifigantly at speeds under 20. Because of the 35's. It never used to do. And the license plate, and back hatch makes vibrating sounds, when I crank my system up too loud, but that's only hearable outside the vehicle.

Before I started doing all these mods to it, there was not a single wrong with it, there sitll is nothign wrong with it, just little character flaws I have to adapt to now, since I changed it.

4" Superlift, 3" PA Body Lift, Warrior Shackles/TT
4.56's, Eaton LS
Old 10-01-2002, 12:14 AM   #13
Mike 92 XLT
Manhattan Beach, CA
2008 Saab 9-3 Aero

Vehicle Specs

Do a search for a thread titled "high mileage Explorers." Theres a ton of info in there about repairs, associated costs, etc. Personally, I think the best component in the truck is the engine, especially the OHV V6 (time will tell about the SOHC, but aside from the timing chain issues, they seem to be holding up pretty well). The OHV though is almost bulletproof. I have over 150K on mine with zero engine work done to it, aside from the usual plugs, oil, filter changes, etc. I think the only big thing to go wrong was the valve cover gaskets were leaking and needed replacing. Just make sure you don't overheat it or you'll crack the heads. Besides that, the tranny, as mentioned, is a big trouble area. Mine went at 95K, and the replacement is still holding up fine. I hate to say it, but after 80K was when the big things started to go wrong. There was a lot of A/C work done (I think the only original part of the system is the compressor), a new alternator, new power steering pump, new master cylinder, and some suspension work done. Plus all the usual wear items like pads, rotors, shocks, tires, a new battery, etc. Actually, now that I look at it, that's not that much, just big bills associated with them. That's to be expected though. I mean, how many people these days really keep their cars anywhere close to 100K, let alone 150K (I'm the original owner). A little frustrating at times, but things do wear out eventually. Overall though, they're good solid vehicles, and to tell you the truth, I never expected mine to last as long as it has, and still look and drive as good (or better) than new.

Mike

I used to have a 1992 Explorer XLT (long ago)
Old 10-01-2002, 12:32 AM   #14
Crankcase
Moderator Emeritus
Vancouver B.C, Canada

1992 XL Ex-Police

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
CAN

My 92 has 160,000 KMS, (or about 100,000 Miles)
Dads 94 has 205,000KMS
Sisters 92 has 210,000+KMS

All three have had the transmission seal problem, but only the 94 required a rebuild at 100,000. No major engine work has been done on any of them.

They all have the original alternators,rads, fuel pumps etc, some even have the original battery

The water pump went bad on mine at about 140,000.
The two 92's had the A/C system retrofitted. Mine still worked after ten years too, it had slowly lost R12 refrigerant in 10 years, but it still worked when I got it retrofitted!
The evaporator cracked on the 94, so the A/C had to be recharged

Ex-Moderator: Modified Explorations Drivelines
New Member Forum

***Guest star poster....
Old 10-01-2002, 05:00 AM   #15
Mbrooks420
High Voltage.
Erie, Pennsylvania

1998 Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Explorers hold up fairly well. I have 102,000 on mine. I have replaced the tranny, ball joints, IAC, front axle shafts, rack and pinion, and some other stuff I can't remember. We had a 91 that went to 140000 with nothing but tires peplaced. 3 setx of ATX's
Majisto- You may want to look into beefier sway bars. Just cause it's an SUV doesn't mean it should have body roll. Its certainly not your live axle, since you don't have one! You may have the limited slip, but that doesn't affect sway.

1999 KTM 300exc RaceTech Suspension, Rekluse Slipper Clutch, single track killer
Old 10-01-2002, 09:13 AM   #16
jjue
Elite Explorer
sXc Member
Brandon, MS

'07 Nissan Titan CC LE

Vehicle Specs

My '97 Mountaineer has almost 89k miles, but it's still been pretty good. I thought that it rattled an aweful lot until I took out the tool box and other crap to haul some other stuff, and since I haven't put the tool box back in, I haven't heard any rattles, even on rough terrain. Granted, I have little silly stuff such as exhaust leak, minor vibration, and the broken A/C blend door (which I'm about to tackle today), but as hard as I've driven this vehicle, I'm satisfied since it's nothing major.

My sister's '94 Explorer has 112k miles with the original engine and tranny. Seals weap a little, but not major leakage. I think that I need to replace PCV valve since it may be clogged, but it still runs strong, just not as much HP as my Mountaineer since it came from the factory with a 302.

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page