OBD2 EVap Monitor

sckent

Reaction score
City, State
Kimberling City, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XL
Greetings!

I have a 1999 Ex with a 4.0 OHV engine. 2 weeks ago I had to remove and replace the battery.

I used this time also to use my OBD2 plug in scanner. Within an hour or so of driving all monitors stopped flashing except the EV. Now 2 weeks later the EV is till flashing however, no error codes or pendings as of today. Any ideas on how to get this monitor to run and complete?

Thanks.
:redexp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you sure it's supported on yours? There are several startup routines that aren't. My scanner just says "not supported" on those. What kind of scanner do you have?

Hello Robert,

The code reader is a Innova3100 OBD2 digital code reader.

From reading the instructions that came with the reader the only monitors displayed are the ones that my vehicle supports. If it does not support a monitor it does not come on. I show 8 supported monitors on the code reader all are solid showing a "done" status except for the EV monitor which is flashing which the instructions indicate has not run yet.

Thanks

Scott

Any help or information is appreciated on this subject,

Thanks

OK, checked mine. Mine does have the Evaporative Emissions Monitor readiness check. I believe to clear the test, you have to drive several miles at 50 MPH and higher. I'll do some digging and see if I can find out exactly what qualifications it takes to clear this test. Mine does show completed since my battery was last disconnected over Thanks Giving. I drive a mix of city and highway miles every day though.

Thanks

Thanks for your efforts. I live in a rural area of extreme southern MO in the Ozark Mtns. The roads here and the surrounding area are 2 lane and very windy and hilly. One cannot drive but about 40 to 45 mph. A sustained drive of 50 or higher is out of the question unless I want to drive about 50 miles up north to the Interstate.

Scott

I checked my Owner's Manual on what it considers a drive cycle. It states that to complete a drive cycle 30 minutes of city driving and 30 minutes of highway driving is required. You just won't be able to complet the evap. test until you've driven on the highway. Nothing is being hurt so I wouldn't worry about it. Once you've completed the drive cycle the test should show completed.

Thank You!

Thanks Robert for the info.

Scott

You're welcome. I found the complete requirements to complete the test. They are as follows:

1) IAT must be between 40°F-100°F.
2) For vehicles with Fuel Level Input, fuel gauge needs to read between 1/4 & 3/4 tank.
3) Drive on expressway for 8-15 minutes depending on driving conditions

On the expressway drive, the vehicle must be driven above 45 MPH. Maintain a speed within 5 MPH for 10 minutes. If after 10 minutes, the IAT hasn't risen above 40°F during this drive the EVAP test will not complete.

NOTE : If the IAT PID is less than 4°C (40°F) at any time during the highway drive, the Evaporative Emission Monitor will not complete.

Back