How to turn off alarm once its blaring? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to turn off alarm once its blaring?

hydroxy

I like to fiddle...
Reaction score
City, State
Fairfax, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Limited v6
Yes, you can call me dumb if you wish.

Factory alarm - 95 limited. Once it has started blaring, how do I turn it off? I tried entering keypad #, no go - tried hitting the panic button on keyless remote... no go... I had to jump in and start the sucker to get it to turn off.

I thought most car alarms turned off if you held the panic button for a second or two?

thanks
patrick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i forget(i'm not gonna go out and try right now) but mine either goes off when i hit "panic" again or maybe it's "unlock" either way it's one of the two!

its hit unlock..... dont hit panic, or you will have to jump in and start it to turn it off.....

ya i thought it was unlock, wasn't sure-way to back me up tho-thanks jim!

-Ryan

You're going to think this is stupid, but a mechanic told me this once. When the alarm goes off and you hit the button on the remote. Touch the remote to your chin. It appears to boost the signal (perhaps working like an antenna.) It looks and sounds stupid, but it has always worked for me.

BTW. I have a 96 and I just hit the panic button again to turn it off......

The chin deal only works if you have metal plates in your head...I guess a lot of fillings would work also!

:p

Turn the truck on. That will always kill the alarm if it's factory.

how long do I hold the unlock button?

well if your alarm is going off and you hit the panic button again and it doesn't turn off and then you hit the unlock button and it still doesn't go off, then the only thing that i can think to do is start the car like Alec said and it will kill the alarm since it is stock (it is stock.....isn't it?)

yes its stock. And yes, last time it went off and I couldn't turn it off w/ the remote I had to jump in and start it to get it to turn off.

Doing the numbers on the door always works for me.

Hit the panic button.
Hit the unlock button.
Unlock any door with the key.
Enter the keypad code.
Start the engine.

Any of those should work. Maybe the batteries are going dead in your remote and that is why pushing buttons isn't working.

Also another tip, if your alarm is blaring, you'll get better response when you hit the unlock button in between honks.

If you hit the Panic button you must press and hold it for a few seconds to shut it off, if it goes off b/c some jerk lets his BMW's door fly open and ding the hell out of your door the first day you have your X then hitting the Unlock button will shut it off. That's what I was told at the dealer- except the BMW part, that really happened. (It's funny how fast those rich little kids can take off when they see that I saw them)
It's kinda funny but I can hit panic 3 blocks away and set my alarm off, but I have to be within 10 feet to shut it off! :confused:

Back