Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Explorer Related Polls

Notices

Explorer Related Polls Polls here are for Explorer related topics only... All other polls go in the "General Topic Polls" Forum located under the "More Topics" catagory.

Best aftermarket alarm w/ remote start

Old 01-07-2003, 06:31 PM   #1
RAZOR
Lyndhurst,NJ
'98 Sport 4x4 4.0L SOHC

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Best aftermarket alarm w/ remote start

I am considering the purchase of a car alarm with a remote starter. I would like to know anyone's opinion and experience with all the different brands out there. Thanks, RAZOR

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn what modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to see less ads, no green underlined links, and many other benefits such as being able to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 01-09-2003, 08:49 PM   #2
jssong

Vehicle Specs

dei alarms.. like viper, python, etc
jssong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 12:50 AM   #3
94XMike
St. Charles,Il
'94 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

I just got the Viper installed today and love it!
94XMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 12:54 AM   #4
LiKuiD
bahhhhhhhhh
Hillsborough, NJ

'94 EB

Vehicle Specs

I had a great experience w/ Crimestopper and their line of remote starters/alarms. Don't forget to check them out too!

LiKuiD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 11:04 AM   #5
mattadams
Tall Man Little Escape
Longmont, CO

2010 Escape XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I've got the Viper 790 XV in my F-150. Its the one that is called the "responder", it pages your transponder if it goes off, etc. It's got remote start, keyless entry, alarm, and power windows up/down. The only problem I've had with it is the windows up/down (which is the 530t module) which we can't seem to get working right, and the original installer of the alarm was kind of a moron, but other then that I really like it!

2000 F-150 XLT 4x4 ORP with tons of fun stuff that I sold years ago and still miss.
www.mattstruck.com
mattadams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 11:10 AM   #6
CougarX
Louisville, Kentucky
'98 EB, '02 ST, '97 XLT

Vehicle Specs

I've got a Crimestopper remote start with the 2-way remote on mine and I love it. Crimestopper's Alarm system with the remote start will cost you less than the Viper but its hard to find a installer for Crimestopper. I installed mine myself but wouldn't really recommend it unless you're a stubborn cheap bastard like me :p

The Viper system with the two way remote is going to run you about $400 installed and if you have the PATS transponder key they are going to charge you an extra $50 for the key bypass (even though the bypass only costs $27 if you buy it yourself). The Viper is a great system though. My sister has it on her durango and she loves hers too. It comes with everything including a shock sensor and you can add any number of modules to it to expand it.
CougarX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 08:31 PM   #7
RAZOR
Lyndhurst,NJ
'98 Sport 4x4 4.0L SOHC

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Talking

I would like to thank you guys for responding to my topic. After much consideration as to features, price, availability, quality and reliability I decided to go with the Crimestopper2011RS Series III. It has all the features I need and the installer really knows his S__T

Old 01-22-2004, 08:37 PM   #8
XploderSport96
Omaha, NE
'96 Sport

Vehicle Specs

The viper and clifford lines (DEI) are the best period. Crimestoppers are good autopage's are better. But the DEI products are the best.
XploderSport96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 08:46 PM   #9
A Wise Guy
Translator Extraordinaire
McHenry, IL.

'06 Limited Dark Cherry

Vehicle Specs

DEI all the way. Python with remote start was originally installed in '97 in my wife's Dodge Avenger. Since I was trading in the car and the dealer wasn't giving any more money because of the sytem I had it removed. $120. for the removal but to replace everything it would have been over $500. so it made sense to do it. The shop has been good when it comes to tweaking the system to make it just right also. Not bad for a place that I didn't buy from originally.

A Wise Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 10:26 PM   #10
XploderSport96
Omaha, NE
'96 Sport

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally posted by A Wise Guy
DEI all the way. Python with remote start was originally installed in '97 in my wife's Dodge Avenger. Since I was trading in the car and the dealer wasn't giving any more money because of the sytem I had it removed. $120. for the removal but to replace everything it would have been over $500. so it made sense to do it. The shop has been good when it comes to tweaking the system to make it just right also. Not bad for a place that I didn't buy from originally.
Ouch! The stereo store I work at removes them for $40
XploderSport96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 08:24 AM   #11
X~FACTOR
Name is Ray
Valley Stream, Long Island

'97 XLT 4-dr SOHC

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I have a Prestige by Audiovox. I got it installed for $325 with other "extras". It has lots of neat feature that I never use. A step up would be a CompuStar but that cost $400+. Depending how good you are electronically this one is for the professional to install. I do okay with electrical problems but when I saw all the wires to be installed and connected my head just started spinning.

edit: found a link for you.

http://sealeddeals.com/security1.html

Last edited by X~FACTOR; 01-23-2004 at 08:34 AM.
X~FACTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 09:02 AM   #12
DeRocha
NEX Vice President
Brockton, MA

'93 XLT 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have installed 10+ Audiovox Prestige units (various models) withought any problems. On older units the key fob had a fragile key ring connector that tended to break, but they have since redesigned it.. The one in my X is currently 11yrs old with zero problems.

IMO any of the brands mentioned are good choices. If your are installing it yourself you want to insure It has all the features you currently want and can be upgraded easily to the additional feature you may add on in the future (remote start etc). Some brands require you to purchase external relays to work power door locks etc. This can be good or bad. Bad because you need to buy them and wire them in, but good because if they do go bad you can replace them (if they were internal you'd have to figure out out to replace the module on the circuit board PITA...

Repair info NEX-New England Explorers NEX: Club Events
DeRocha is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page