Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Under the Hood

Notices

Under the Hood Ford Explorer and Ranger, Engine, troubleshooting, modifications, performance and accessories.

jumping speedometer

Old 02-06-2003, 08:37 AM   #1
94expo
Long Beach, Calif
94 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Arrow jumping speedometer

after some driving my speedometer will start bouncing a little. I get about a 5 mph bounce. If im going 65mph it will bounce up to 80mn and down around 60. this will only happen after drive a little distance. about 25 miles. It will clear up after a while. then at times come it will come back. is this system straight cable or is there electronics involved. The truck Does not feel like its speeding up or slowing down. Its a 94 XLT
94expo is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 02-06-2003, 09:13 AM   #2
Alec
Elite Moderator
Houston, Texas

2008 JK

Vehicle Specs

Your 94 should just have a cable running from the tranny in a 2wd or tcase in a 4x4. Probably just need to unbind or lubricate the cable.

Alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 09:36 AM   #3
Joey P
On my 5th Explorer
Lakewood, CO

1999 Ford Explorer EB 5.0

Vehicle Specs

I have the exact same problem. How Hard is this to fix?

Updated Mug shot 2/12/09
Joey P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 09:52 AM   #4
94expo
Long Beach, Calif
94 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Its a 2 wheel drive. I thought Lube also but it only happens after I drive for awhile. then it will clear up. Does the cable run from the tranny straight to the speedometer or does it go thought some other device prior to the speedometer.
Old 02-09-2003, 09:06 AM   #5
94expo
Long Beach, Calif
94 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
this thing is equiped with a VSS (vehicle speed sensor) Its part of the cable housing on the side of the transmission. Has anyone had any experience with this or know its function and could it make your speedometer bounce
Old 02-09-2003, 09:40 AM   #6
Perry
Elite Explorer
Loveland Co.

1994 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I have the same problem and I changed out the cable, and the gear in the transfer case and neither one helped.
I asked my mechanic friend and he said it is in the cluster itself but to have it fixed by Ford it is REALLY EXPENSIVE so I just use my GPS to check my mph.
The odometer works fine so I just got used to it jumping around.

1994 Explorer XLT four door
5.5" Superlift 35" Big-O tires, Progressive 15X10 rims
4.56 gears, Powertrax No-slip in rear
Perry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 02:10 PM   #7
V8BoatBuilder
Transplanted Bostonian
East Brunswick, NJ

97 Mountaineer V8 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I had an old Peugeot and the speedometer cable was routed by the exhuast - as the car ran, and the cable heated up, the speedometer would jump around. A new cable solved the problem temporarily, untill the heat got it again. I'm not sure the routing on the 1st gen Xs, but the intermittentness might be related to heat. FWIW.

On Road: 2006 VW Jetta TDI/6spd DSG. Fill it with diesel, please.
Octopus Yachts, LLC Engineered Marine Electrical Systems
V8BoatBuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 09:55 PM   #8
WEENIE666
CEDAR FALLS, IOWA
92 EXPLORER

Vehicle Specs

YEAH, I HAVE A 92 AND IT DOES THAT, I WILL BE GOIN 55 THEN SPEED UP.....NO MOVEMENT...SO I SPEED UP SOME MORE,THEN..*BAM* IT JUMPS UP TO 70!!!
I GOT PULLED OVER 2 WEEKS AGO FOR DOING 78 WHEN MY SPEEDOMETER SAID 65 ON CRUISE!!!!!
I HAD A FREIND FOLLOW, ON CELL PHONES TO TELL ME WHEN I HIT 70 MPH, SHE WAS DRIVING A BRAND NEW CAR SO ITS SPEEDOMETER WAS CORRECT. I WAS DOING 70 BUT MY SPEEDOMETER SAID 58!!!
THIS SUCKS, I THINK FORD SHOULD BE RESPONSIBLE!
THE OFFICER DIDNT WRITE ME A TICKET BECAUSE HE SAID HIS PARENTS HAVE A 94 & IT DOES THE EXACT SAME THING! I HAVE A 92, FORDS SUCK.
WEENIE666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 09:17 AM   #9
outrun84
Madison, Connecticut and Castleton, Vermont
1997 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

Had a 91 with same thing

I had the problem of the wavy needle on mine too, ford says that is is a sending unit on the tranny but i duno, they lubed up the cable and everything but it did not fix it. I got a quote from them of somewhere in the $900-1000 range i thought it was &^*$%^& nuts so i said screw it. I would have the cable lubed and then from there i duno.

Old 02-11-2003, 10:39 AM   #10
94expo
Long Beach, Calif
94 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
There is a small sending unit on the side of the trans where the cable comes out. Its called a speed senser that send speed info to the emissions. Im thinging it maybe interfering with cable movment causing the bouncing. Auto zone has them for 24 buck. that could be the only thing I could think of in the way of sending units on the trans. The rest if the system is direct gear.
Old 02-27-2003, 04:26 PM   #11
Shurup
Edmonton, AB, Canada
91 XL

Vehicle Specs

My speedo is actinng funny too, but in different way. In cold weather (-15 C to -30 C don't know how much in F) after I start driving it after it completelly cools down at night it shows me around 100 km/h instead of 60-70 km/h. The colder the weather, the worth it. Howewer it goes back to normal after I drive my truck for 10-15 minutes.
What can it be in my case? Thx.

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page