1995 - Dora the explorer SAS | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1995 - Dora the explorer SAS

Hey guys... this is humbling to be able register here. I know that there are like 4 guys going to register very soon.
lizardtrac, morrisey0, FMExplorer, muskrat, jeffseal... i know there are others, but these are the guys who have helped me out in so many ways. not to mention coryl - the guy is an inspiration.

Started with 1995 XLT with 170,000 on the ticker and a tax refund check! (thanks uncle Sam)

I had torn up 2 sets of wheel bearings in the past year, needed to replace control arms, ball joints, my fourth cv axle... in all it was going to be nearly $1k in parts to replace parts that were just worn out... so the old noggin started working. wife got her a new/used car for her and gave me the go ahead to tackle this project.

Ill detail everything in the days to come and am willing to answer and questions, but ill tell like everyone else - do a search first and/or start with this thread
right now i have a High Pinion dana 30 axle out of a 1992 YJ (jeep wrangler) this was a steal of a deal and i snagged it from a fellow i work with. I was attracted to it since it is reverse cut gears, parts are easy to find and gnerally inexpensive, the axle was in excellent condition, the bolt pattern would remain the same, and i got it, with springs, and steering linkage for $250.

the springs were from a 70s wagoneer.

to achieve lift I relocated springs over the axle.

i gotta cut this short since im at work but ill update as soon as i can.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I hate you. I hate you very, very, much. j/k
Thats looks awesome, you did a great job. I bet you cant wait till that driveshaft gets in.

Gabe, you're a biatch!

Yeah - hopefully by next weekend I can move Tramp out of the garage and join this forum:mad:

BTW - Nice tires ;)

J

i totally ripped this guy off on the tires. what a pimp - he thought he was getting rich off me... little did he know i was ripping him off:confused: :D ;)

I'm listing any of my stuff, till the truck drives right:D YOu guys beat me to it, bummer. Looks great, right now, I need 8" rear springs for the Rat Trap, and I need to p[lay around with my steering:)

Just looks so natural!!! I'm really liking the 2nd Gen Xs. :redexp:

Very nice Gabe. Hey you forgot to mention me up there haha. Just kidding. I couldn't affer you much help seeing as i don't know anything.

Do you have any rubbing on the street yet, just turning wise?

by moving the axle 1" forward in preset up and not taking into consideration that spring compression would move axle forward a little more i clear 35s with room to spare! honestly i could 36 no issue and 37s may be. ill take pics soon - i cant find my damned cord to digi camera:mad:

sorry josh... i didnt realize that you were already getting started. i cannot wait to see a coil front end on a late model... its goign to be sick man!!

btw - every cop in teh state seems to notice me even more:eek: :confused: :rolleyes:

muskrat, 8" springs!? you go man! what size meats you plan on running?

thought ide post some of the pics i took along the way...

here is my work bench - my 75 cj5 project. notice how good the frame is:rolleyes:

that was right after i cut the end off the explorer steering shaft. ialso had to cut out quite a bit of the top tube. i wanted it to still be colspsible in case of an accident.

(Photo links dead)

this the ranger end on the explorer shaft.

i was trying to show in this pic that i had to use the bench grinder to machine the end of the explorer shaft to fit in the ranger yoke.

a pic of the drivers side rear mount. thats 1/4" stock. i did eventuall yhave to space it out to accomodate the new posistions of the spring perches. when i went SOA i had to relocate the perches to the outside because of pumpkin case and actuator housing. i spaced with pieces of 1/2" stock then welded it all to the frame one i felt that it was perfectly aligned.

i was being imaptient before i went SOA and hung it sprung under. note that at full droop i was only 4-5" under the frame. on the driver's side the pumpkin was within and inch or 2 of the motor mount bracket that has the old d35 hanger there.

and this pic might explain what my problem is

as soon as i find my camera cord (wife's car i bet) ill hook up with some detail pics of my fabbed drag link (came out so awesome) and any pics that anyone may request.

Looks good. How does it ride? How does the steering feel? How much lift do you think you ended up with? What do your tires measure to when mounted? Get some flex shots :D

i cannot emphasize enough - the ride is BETTER! so much better than stock. it is smooth it has no body roll when the sway bars are hooked up.

the steering is great. feels like a pickup truck as the gear steering is a little slower and a little less radius than rack and pinion. i must tell you that i think this is a benefit since the heigth and sharp quick steering would be a bad combo. it feels good. i feel like i own the road. people move away from me and lots of heads turn when they see the only lifted explorer in the area coming their way.

comparred to a stock ex with stock tires and my less than stock ex the floor boards are 11"-12" higher. figure stock tire is 28" go to 35" so thats 3.5" spring over gave a true 5.5" rear 6" in the front and 2.25" body lift (i added big washer to space up the BL a little.) so thats 3.5 + 5.5 + 2.25 = 11"+ taller than stock.

from ground to top of tire is 34"ish. ill measure to make sure though.

this is too much fun!

this is with BOTH sway bars connected... this was before i left for work today so i know that i will have better pics if the sun ever comes out and i disconnect the sawy bars.

and another... sorry these are so poor it hasnt stopped raining in over a week so all my shots are in the rain and a flash doenst work so well with rain in teh air.

and a comparrison shot that my wife called me a moron for taking

Hanger brackets

look really stout. The whole thing looks very good.:cool:

just got back from lunch. i took advantafe of some poor little non-modified explorer.:D

all i can say is WOW-no wonder so many people get the SAS bug......after that comparison shot-i think it hit me....LOL

Damn Gabe your my hero, lol

man if i ever get rich, your helping me with mine right?

I'm headed to FL on 26 April, if plans don't change.

Did you leave then a note saying, "This is how an Explorer is done"? That's one of my favorite lines when I see a stocker:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

whats the backspacing?

Back