How to disable the CHECK ENGINE light? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to disable the CHECK ENGINE light?

RandyL712

Reaction score
City, State
Aurora, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer 2D
I want to turn this light off, it's driving me crazy and I may never spend the $$ to get it fixed. What's the quickest way to turn it off?

95 Explorer 2-Door Automatic

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The quickest way is to disconnect your battery for a few minutes. You could also go to Auto-Zone, they'll read the code, tell u what's wrong and delete it for you for free. That's the best thing to do.

Edit: You have a 95, and that's a different computer than in my 98, so I'm not sure if disconnecting the battery will still work for sure, don't know why not. Auto-Zone will still read and get rid of it for you.

Umm, that's not what I'm asking :D

I'm asking how to permanently just turn off the CHECK ENGINE light on the dash.

The light come's from an error the computer has found. I don't know of any bulb to disconnect if that's what you are asking. Gotta get the computer to forget about the error.

I know the error and don't want to pay $400 to replace the parts that it wants me to. Without being rude (And I apologize if this seems rude) please post if you know how to disable the CHECK ENGINE light on the dash - I'm not looking for assistance in resolving the problem causing the light to show up :)

Take apart the dash and pull the little bulb or put a piece of black electical tape over on the guage cluster.

Back