hard crank, no start, pop. second try...starts up | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

hard crank, no start, pop. second try...starts up

EliteConcept

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
LaPorte, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Civic LX
well my 92 x in the morn i'll go out and crank it up, sometimes it starts sometimes its doesn't. When it doesn't i would say half the time i get a pop like "poof" from what seems to be the passenger side of the engine.

on my second attempt the engine will start right up.

i have read that i should hear a noise when the key turns to RUN, like a whine from the fuel pump, That sound is present, and annyoning i might as too ;).

i have a fuel filter that is only about a year old
newer spark plugs and wires
Optima battery
130 amp alternator

all these parts are new, i fear the problem lies , in the expensive fuel system parts....are my fears true?

thanks much!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

fuel presure regulator.

Sounds like it bleeding down pressure overnight. The cool thing is. You can go to the boneyard and pull on off of a 93 and get the newer style fuel line and regulator and get the new heat shroud in the procces. Better hot wheather performance. I paid 30 for mine and it really was a definite improvement. Easier starts and ran much better on really hot days. Hope this helps.

so your sayin its the fuel pressure regulator? or at least you think

having a similar problem... when's it's humid out and I first start is, sometimes it acts like it's running on 4 cyl's. If I keep the rpm's above 2700 for about 30 seconds, it clears itself. I'm wondering if it's the M.A.F or if it's trying to vapor lock.

:chug: :chug:

jgamble

yours sounds like upper intake gasket leaking. Retorque upper manifold first if that dosnt stop it replace the gasket.

Sounds like the same problem Im having.

I would say the check valve is going bad though! Hook up a fuel guage over night, if it bleeds off, then the check valve is bad. This would mean replacing the Fuel Pump.

Another simple test would be to turn the key on and off a few times, giving the fuel pump more time to pressure up.

Does your Fuel pump run? If so, does it run longer then 2-3 sec?

well let's hope it's not the fuel pump:( it only runs 2-3 seconds on turning of the key. Like I said it only does it when it's humid, not hot. I'm thinking it's either the MAF or intake. I'm thinking the MAF on accounta the way it clears up after a few seconds at higher rpm's.

:chug: :chug:

Back