adjust your TPS (another free hp mod) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

adjust your TPS (another free hp mod)

james t

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Texarkana AR/TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 SAS sport
adjust your TPS (another free "throttle response" mod)

TPS- Throttle Position Sensor
The TPS senses throttle movement and position, then transmits a voltage signal to the PCM. This signal enables the PCM to determine when the throttle is closed, in a cruise position, or wide open.

after doing some searching, i saw about 1000 replys stating that the TPS sensor on our explorers is non-adjustable. well, there is a way to make it adjustable just like the mustang guys have been doing for years. this mod will work on any Ford engine with a TPS sensor, V6 or V8.

Benefits-
better throttle response, low/midrange power, increased fuel mileage, smoother idle. it also may solve alot of elusive issues like rough idle, poor mileage, surging idle, etc.

what you will need
screwdriver
a few small sockets
30-60 minutes of time
drill with a small bit or a dremel tool
multimeter (something to read DC current)

you can get a cheap multimeter (even digital) at places like Radio Shack or Autozone for around 10-15 bucks.

basic idea
you can adjust the TPS to the ideal setting buy slightly rotating it either clockwise or counterclockwise. the sensor itself is held on by 2 bolts. you must "slot" the bolt holes in the sensor so that it can be rotated. what you should shoot for is a reading of .95-.97 volts. .96v is ideal, and thats what ive got mine set on right now.

were is it located on the engine?
the TPS sensor is right on top of the throttle body. you will need to remove a few covers/brackets to get to it. it will have a small cover over it, and will have 3 wires. the small cover snaps off. here is were it is located on the 5 liter-

Attachments

• tps3.jpg
    tps3.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 28,276

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

unplug the sensor, and remove it. you will see the two mounting holes that need to be elongated to allow the sensor to be rotated-

Attachments

• tps1.jpg
    tps1.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 26,590

now, get a drill with the appropriate sized bit and "carve" on the holes in either direction to make them elongated. be careful, this is plastic and it is easy to remove alot of material rather quickly. take your time and GO SLOW.

when you are done, the holes should look like this. now, reinstall the sensor and plug it back in. you are now ready to adjust it.

Attachments

• tps2.jpg
    tps2.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 26,611

how to adjust
there are 3 wires on the TPS.
Black- ground
Orange- 5 volt reference
Green- Feed (.95-.97 volts)

ignore the orange wire. turn the key ON but do not start the engine. all readings will be taken with the key all the way on but the engine OFF. tap the green wire with your multimeter and set it to DC. monitor the voltage readings. turn the sensor clockwise or counterclockwise until you get it to read .95-.97 volts. as i said, .96 is dead on. THIS TAKES SOME PATIENCE. do it with both mounting bolts only slightly loose. just the slightest movement will make a big change in the reading. once you have it set, snug the bolts down and re-check. it is possible to throw it back off just by tightening the bolts. now you're done.

i hope this helps some of you... your increases in power/mileage/smooth idle will all depend on how bad it was off in the first place. if you like, check it before you ever remove it just to get an idea what it is reading. mine was running around .80 volts, and i noticed a nice improvement in idle quality and throttle response.

if you have any questions, feel free to post. :)

I assume this will work for the OHV also, right?

it will work on any Ford gas engine that has a TPS sensor. 4 liter OHV, 4 liter SOHC, and 5 liter V8 all have TPS sensors.

Does it really make a difference is power and make the engine run smoother?

Jed

oreokid220@aol.com

it will all depend on how far off it was to begin with. its free, just try it. you have nothing to lose. :)

Originally posted by james t
it will all depend on how far off it was to begin with. its free, just try it. you have nothing to lose. :)

I agree. If it smoothes out my idle by just a fraction, I would be happy.:D

How come .96V is the best setting?

Stupid qustion. But i know nothing about wiring! When you say "tap into the green wire", what exactly do you mean? How do I do this? By cutting the wire?

I know nothing about wiring, so Ive never used a Multimeter before.

Thanks

Originally posted by yob_yeknom
How come .96V is the best setting?
because it is right in between .95v and .97v. :D actually, anywere in this range is perfect. .96v is perfecting perfection.

your multimeter will have a sharp probe on the end. you hold down the wire and stick this through the insulation, just leaving a pin hole behind. each time you check it, just stick it back through the same pin hole.

Oh thanks :D

But what I'm saying is why is it better than say .80V like yours had out of the box? What is the range of readings it can have and why does that starting point make it best?

why is the sky blue? why is the grass green? why do old people/children/kittens die? :p

when the TPS is "dialed in" its within the .95-.97 range. the actual tolerance is much much bigger. i assume Ford doesnt want to pay some assembly line worker to stand there with a meter and tweak it until its perfect. thus, you have the large margin of tolerance. i have no idea how far out it can be without throwing a CEL, but i imagine it would have to be WAY off. .95-.97 is perfect, anything else is still in tolerance, but not perfect. as to why, i dont know. you'll have to ask the engineering team as to why they chose that voltage instead of another.

This mod may help with throttle responce and help poor idle, but I can see no way that it will increase hores power.
The TPS is designed to run from .50 volts to 4+ volts. The .50 volts is provided to the sensor from the ECM and is the base minimum. This doesn't mean that the TPS should read .50 volts with the throttle closed, its just a reference for the ECM. At idle the TPS generally reads between .70 and .97 and should read above 4.0 volts at wide open throttle (WOT). The closer the TPS is to its max idle setting (.97) the faster the ECM responds to throttle input and the better the idle quality (due to the ECM providing more fuel). Anything above .97 volts will affect idle quality due to an over rich condition.

Wrapping up what Mike said, I have one thing to say:
Touché!

alright, so better throttle response INSTEAD OF hp. sorry for the confusion.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Make sure to put the new cover sheets on your TPS reports! :smoke:

James - awesome tip.

Back