Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > General Explorations!!

Notices

General Explorations!! Closed to new posts. Place new posts in our new model year appropriate forum

Help! Weird shake/vibration/clunking at high speeds

Old 06-11-2003, 08:39 PM   #1
99Mounty
Chicago, IL
99 Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Help! Weird shake/vibration/clunking at high speeds

I have around 53k in my 1999 AWD Mountaineer.

For some odd reason, when I drive at speeds around 35-45 mph, my vehicle "shakes"... it doesn't seem like a vibration ... it kinda jerks, as if it's having a hard time changing gears ... at the same time, i feel it on my seat. I'm not sure if this is an alignment issue or not -- at first, I thought it was a tranny issue. I changed the tranny oil, put new filter -- but that didn't help. After that, I drained the transfer case fluid and filled new oil in the tranfer case -- that didn't help.

Could this be as simple as an out-of-balance tire? Or do you think this is more serious -- as in a damaged tranny, damaged driveline componets?

I took it in to a shop, and the guy said it could possibly be my U-joint.

Any help/insights/ideas/suggestions are greatly appreciated. Please help!!!
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn what modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to see less ads, no green underlined links, and many other benefits such as being able to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 06-11-2003, 10:04 PM   #2
Raschied
Rancho Cordova, CA
'94 XLT

Vehicle Specs

U-joint

Questions:

Is the "shake" more noticable going straight, or around corners?

Is the vehicle noticably pulling from one side to the other?

are there any noises associated with the "shake"? i.e. a clunk when accelerating? braking?

Does your Tach jump or shift at the point the "shake" occurs?

lastly, does it do it when you take your foot off the accelerator?
Old 06-12-2003, 12:00 PM   #3
99Mounty
Chicago, IL
99 Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
the "shake" and the "vibrating" is noticeable going straight, the vehicle does not pull from one side to the other.

along with the "shake" is sort of like a grinding noise ... it sort of "clunks" lightly when accelerating, ... even when my foot is off the gas pedal. my tach does not jump at the point when the "shake" occurs.

I took my vehicle in today to get an alignment and to get tires balanced... turns out my tires were not balanced. however, even after getting tires balanced and getting an alignment, i still get the "shake."

any help please??
Old 06-12-2003, 12:38 PM   #4
Raschied
Rancho Cordova, CA
'94 XLT

Vehicle Specs

U-joint

If you don't mind climbing under the car, it's pretty easy to check the U-joints and the drive shaft for obvious problems. That's where I would start. Clunk when accellerating is a good sign the u-joint is giving way.

I'm not familiar enough with the X's drive train to give you specifics, but you should try grabbing the drive shaft on either side of the u-joint, and try giving it an "indian burn." That is, check to see if there is any play in the joint if you turn on half of the shaft clockwise and the other counter-clockwise. If you feel any movement, the joint is bad.

I had this happen on a little 124 Spider sports car, and had the same symptoms - vibration in a speed range, clunk when accelerating. One look under the car showed the problem. U-joint was so bad it had almost sheared off.

If that's not it, start suspecting the differentials. Usually it's more noticable in the corners if the differentials are to blame.

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page