Elite Moderator Intoxicator
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Rigby, ID
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Excursion (THE BUS)
Can anyone tell me the difference between the widths of the D30 coming out of a scout vs coming out of a jeep??? I've possibly found a killer deal on a D30 out of a scout...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is the pumkin on the correct side???? :rolleyes:

This was the only scout info i could find but i think its refering to a D44

Vehicle: '71-80 Scout II rear, '74-80 front
Bolt pattern: 5 on 5.5", which allows wheel-swapping with any CJ if you need to borrow or lend a spare.
Width: 58" front, 58.5" rear -- 1.5-2" narrower than a YJ. That's not a big problem in the rear, but it'll reduce turning radius up front. Less wheel backspacing compensates for this.
Brakes: 11" rear drums. What size front? Rear hard line junction is on opposite side of axle from YJ. Front brake line fitting is larger than YJ lines.
Spline count: 30
Caster: 0 degrees '71-79, 3 degrees in '80. A YJ wants about 7 degrees, so you'd have to rotate the knuckles on the axle tubes.
Other: Scout fronts have the diff very wide on the passenger side. This involves grinding to change the spring perch, and requires a t-case swap on YJ's. Tie rod mounting holes need to be redrilled closer to knuckles to regain a tight turning radius. Both rear axle shafts are the same length, necessitating only one spare, but the rear pinion is still offset 1.25" to the right, which matches the stock YJ. Going rate is around $100-200 for the rear. Lars swapped Scout D44's under his SOA YJ.

STAY AWAY from it. From what info I can find it is a very week (worse than the Jeep D30) front end hat was only used for a couple years in the early '70's. It has drum brakes, a 2100lb rating and the pumpkin is on the right side (as in not correct for the explorer)

Back