How to: Install Power Memory Seats | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Install Power Memory Seats

BIG COUNTRY

Reaction score
City, State
EIELSON AFB, ALASKA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLS 4x4
this is a write up for X's for years 98-01...91-94 and 95-97 have a couple of different colors of wires...
First there is a list to get....

power seat track
memory module
memory switch
lumbar motor
lumbar air bladder
air lines
lumbar switch
power seat switch
power seat swtich trim panel
wire harness: make sure you grab the one that goes into the floor board!

after getting all of that, remove your seat, there are 4 bolts that hold it down one at each corner, then there is another bolt and a nut for the seat belt...remove those and then remove the seat...put it on a bench or something. Remove the side panel and bottom track off, there are just 4 bolts, probaly 10mm socket should do. After doing that, put the lumbar motor in, goes in the back of the bottom seat in the middle, then run your wire harness in, you can pop the clips the already drilled holes as you go, i only had to drill one for 1 clip. Then run your air lines thru from the lumbar motor to the lumbar switch then from the switch to the air bladder...to put this in remove the upper part seat cover, there is a long plastic clip that you can pry apart...after you do that, lift up the seat cover until you got room to put the air bag in...it goes into the lower half of the seat...and find a way to secure the metal bracket with the air bladder facing the front of the seat and not the bracket, on mine...there were already little holes there so i can clip the metal bracket in. Then run the air line down on either side of the seat connecting it up to the lumbar switch. Then put your seat cover back on and clip on the clips.. Then put your memory module in the front side underneathe...there is no mounting holes for it, the upper half is different from a limited powered seat upper track. So alls i did was glued it on with some epoxy...then let dry.
For the switches...on an original powered seat, they have the wires going thru the seats cuz there is no other way on letting them go thru any where else...cuz they will get pinch between the upper and lower seat track...i soon found that out after putting my seat back, so i kept them under my lower seat track until i get the powered seat switch panel trim cuz that will cover the hole. Now you are ready to put the power seat track on, use the 4 bolts you took off...the power seat track is smaller than the manual track...but thats okay, there are already holes drilled so you can just put it on...
after that, just plug all the wires up and the switches...
and there you have it....a memory seat....

now for the memory switch...it depends where you want to install it...on the door where it is factory installed...if you got the panel off of a limited ya might, cuz there is no room under the power mirror switch cuz damn FORD centered that switch on that piece of trim...so if you didnt get that panel, where else could you put it??? now if you got the long console that goes to the dash...i put mine in the tissue box hole in the middle trim...here is what i did. I got the housing that holds the fog light switch, defogger switch, and rear wiper switch from the junk yard...i left the fog llight switch in so i can use it for my after burner exhaust tip and rear leds, and got another fog light switch and put it where the defogger switch was so i can use it for my chassis underneathe lights, you got to file down some plastic on the housing to make it fit cuz the switch housing is like a key...then for the magic to happen...the hole where the rear wiper switch was, i took a file and sanded down the plastic to where i can fit the memory switch in...it fits perfect...looks good to...then center it right in the hole thats in your console and put some fast drying glue on it to hold it in place, it looks like FORD has put those switches there...
... after that is done you are ready for the wiring..:rolleyes: i know i know, you are almost done...
for the harness that comes off your seat...here are the wires:

BLACK: ground

(SMALL) BLACK/ WHITE: power ground: Data Link Connector...under the steering column lower dash, there is a little piece of trim you can take off, that is your DLC...

(BIG) BLACK/ WHITE: power @ all times: interior fuse panel pin 18...take off your fuse box...find the big black/ white wire that is coming off of pin 18 and splice into it...

LIGHT BLUE/ WHITE: Data Link Connector: under the steering column lower dash, there is a little piece of trim you can take off, that is your DLC...

RED/ BLACK: hot @ ignition: interior fuse panel pin 28...take off your fuse box...find the red/ black wire coming off of pin 28 and splice into it...

LIGHT GREEN/ YELLOW: hot @ all times: interior fuse panel pin 36...take off your fuse box...find the light green/ yellow wire coming off of pin 36 and splice into it.

BROWN/ ORANGE: memory switch: i ran my memory switch wires under the middle console...there are 4 bolts holding the console...the front 2 bolts and the other 2 are in the middle of the console where you took off that middle piece (If you are installing your switch there like i did)...

BLACK/ ORANGE: memory switch: also going to the RAP module pin 18...(if equipped) (this part is cool...this wire is for when you push the unlock button on the first remote, the seat will automatically go into position 1 where you have it set and if you have another remote, it will go into position 2, and if you have a 3rd remote it will go into position 3.)

BROWN/ LIGHT GREEN: memory switch: also going to the RAP module pin 6....(if equipped) this is the other wire for the RAP module...

WHITE/ ORANGE: memory switch.

and for the memory switch, most of the wires you have already done, there are just 2 wires left:

BROWN/ LIGHT GREEN: already done...
BLACK/ ORANGE: already done...
BROWN/ ORANGE: already done...
WHITE/ ORANGE: already done...
BLACK: ground
ORANGE/ LIGHT GREEN: hot @ all times: interior fuse panel pin 1...take off the fuse box and find the orange/ light green wire coming off of pin 1 and splice into it...

and there you have it...now just put your seat back in and test it out...to set it...place the seat where you lilke it and alls you do is push set...and you have within 5 seconds to push 1 or 2 or postion 3...to set position 3, push set and hold button 1 and 2 at the same time. now you have power memory seats...good luck....questions are welcomed...:cool:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Off to useful threads it goes....:D

thank you crankcase...you seen my other write ups?
Rick already got my message center write up
you got memory seat write up

i still have my rear washer bottle installation for X's who dont have one and want one
also my installation of keyless entry...
and last but not least, my auto dim/ auto lamp rear view mirror installation write up...

Thank you for the very useful write ups you do' keep em comming, please.

will do...

Wow!!! This is very interesting!! Thanks for all the write ups!!! :)

no problem...

I just got my ex back from the body shop. Among other things, they installed a new power seat track. The final bill says that the seat track has a memory module, but I didn't have memory seats before. What do I need to do to make them work?

hi, this is actually Big Country, the write up author for power memory seats...well, to make sure if you do have the memory module...look underneathe the seats and you will see a black box with about 4-5 wire harnesses connecting to it...that is your memory box...
if you do got it, you must get the switch, it is located on the door panel next to the power mirror switch on the EX's in the junkyard...limited and maybe eddiebaurer models...
then it is all about hooking up like 5 wires to the switch and from the switch to hot at all times, hot at ignition, and ground...that is it and you got it..

Originally posted by lil country
...if you do got it, you must get the switch, it is located on the door panel next to the power mirror switch on the EX's in the junkyard...limited and maybe eddiebaurer models...

Let me clerify something, if you don't mind lil' country. Eddie Bauers didn't have memory seats until the 2002 models (3rd gen) so all you have to look is Limited models.

thank you there billy...dont mind at all for clairifying that. I wasnt really sure thats why I said maybe...
ok, Limiteds is your only choice...good luck

Back