Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Under the Hood

Notices

Under the Hood Ford Explorer and Ranger, Engine, troubleshooting, modifications, performance and accessories.

IAC Valve - Hard Start on 2000 Explorer

Old 08-26-2003, 11:36 AM   #1
opal6779
Belchertown, Ma
2000 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
IAC Valve - Hard Start on 2000 Explorer

HELP!! I have been having this trouble with my Explorer for about 3-4 weeks now and have very little money to work with at the moment, so I don't want to take it to the shop. I was hoping someone could help me out. Here are the symptoms: Occasionally, not always, usually after the truck has been sitting overnight, I experience trouble getting it started. It sounds like it is about to turn over but then just dies. It will turn over as soon as I step on the gas but when I take my foot off the gas, the car dies again. It takes many tries to get it going. I think it might be the IAC valve? I have seen similiar problems and people have recommended cleaning or replacing this? Do you think this would help, and how do I go about cleaning it??? Is it something easy I can do myself, or should I just break down and take the truck to the shop? Please help, thanks -Jennifer
opal6779 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

Join the Elite Explorers for only $20 a year. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 08-26-2003, 01:20 PM   #2
'96explorereddiebauer
Clemmons, NC
'06 Honda Accord EX-L

Vehicle Specs

I'm having the exact same problems with my '96. This stalling thing only happens when the truck has been sitting for a few hours. I'm suspecting it's my IAC too but I haven't been able to get to it because of school and stuff but I'll hopefully have that replaced this weekend since I'll be going home for Labor Day.

'98 Honda Accord EX-V6
'05 Honda Odyssey EX-L
'96explorereddiebauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 09:55 AM   #3
Runnin'OnEmpty
Southeast USA
2000 Sport

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Stalling at idle is probably caused by the IAC. They are easy to clean and also to replace. If you have a 7/16 socket, you can have it off in two minutes. You need to remove two bolts and one pull-off electrical connector. If you can pump your own gas, you can replace it.

Do a search on "cleaning the IAC" and you'll get a lot of helpful info. You can get a new one for about $70 from fastpartsnetwork.

2000 Sport 4x2, 4.0 ohv, 5R55E w/Superior shift kit, 3.55 diff, Mazda truck alloys/BFG TAs, RoadMaster Active Suspension, EE anti-sway bar, F&R poly bushings, camber kit, Rancho shocks, Hooker Aero Chamber muffler, Medium Wedgewood Blue.....

Bought another 2000 Sport (God help me), 4.0 ohv auto, 60K actual miles, Cragar SS alloys/BFG TAs, AAL, EE anti-sway bar, Gibson cat-back, Harvest Gold, GT leather interior.
Runnin'OnEmpty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 10:34 PM   #4
Rodeo Joe
Elite Bostonian
Frankin, MA
1997 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Ok, my '97 has had similar problems also. My wife was telling me about it but it finally happened to me a few weeks ago. The engine cranks like it wants to start but as soon as you let off the key it quits. This went on a couple of times until it started, reeked of gas too. I ran this by on another forum and was told it could be a bad MAF. It was suggested to unplug the MAF connector the next time it acts up to see if it starts right up. Now I need it to happen again.

Joe
Rodeo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 03:03 PM   #5
endofbaker
Livingston, NJ
99 XLT

Vehicle Specs

I cleaned mine.

On a 99 SOHC remove the dust cover.
The IAC sits in the middle of the intake manifold.
Remove the 2 bolts and the wiring connection.
On the bottom you will see 2 chambers with a spring loaded plunger separating the two. Spray carb cleaner or gas into the two chambers. make shure the plunger between the two is open ( mine was stuck shut at first). Clean the top of the plunger and the opening with a Q-tip.
Replace and you should be fine.
endofbaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page