IAC Valve - Hard Start on 2000 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

IAC Valve - Hard Start on 2000 Explorer

opal6779

Reaction score
City, State
Belchertown, Ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
HELP!! I have been having this trouble with my Explorer for about 3-4 weeks now and have very little money to work with at the moment, so I don't want to take it to the shop. I was hoping someone could help me out. Here are the symptoms: Occasionally, not always, usually after the truck has been sitting overnight, I experience trouble getting it started. It sounds like it is about to turn over but then just dies. It will turn over as soon as I step on the gas but when I take my foot off the gas, the car dies again. It takes many tries to get it going. I think it might be the IAC valve? I have seen similiar problems and people have recommended cleaning or replacing this? Do you think this would help, and how do I go about cleaning it??? Is it something easy I can do myself, or should I just break down and take the truck to the shop? Please help, thanks -Jennifer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm having the exact same problems with my '96. This stalling thing only happens when the truck has been sitting for a few hours. I'm suspecting it's my IAC too but I haven't been able to get to it because of school and stuff but I'll hopefully have that replaced this weekend since I'll be going home for Labor Day.

Stalling at idle is probably caused by the IAC. They are easy to clean and also to replace. If you have a 7/16 socket, you can have it off in two minutes. You need to remove two bolts and one pull-off electrical connector. If you can pump your own gas, you can replace it.

Do a search on "cleaning the IAC" and you'll get a lot of helpful info. You can get a new one for about $70 from FordPartsNetwork.

Ok, my '97 has had similar problems also. My wife was telling me about it but it finally happened to me a few weeks ago. The engine cranks like it wants to start but as soon as you let off the key it quits. This went on a couple of times until it started, reeked of gas too. I ran this by on another forum and was told it could be a bad MAF. It was suggested to unplug the MAF connector the next time it acts up to see if it starts right up. Now I need it to happen again.

Joe

I cleaned mine.

On a 99 SOHC remove the dust cover.
The IAC sits in the middle of the intake manifold.
Remove the 2 bolts and the wiring connection.
On the bottom you will see 2 chambers with a spring loaded plunger separating the two. Spray carb cleaner or gas into the two chambers. make shure the plunger between the two is open ( mine was stuck shut at first). Clean the top of the plunger and the opening with a Q-tip.
Replace and you should be fine.

Back