How to: Replace Headlight Switch Bulb | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Replace Headlight Switch Bulb

yob_yeknom

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Glade Hill, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT & '06 Limited
scroll down a few posts for instructions on how to get to the bulb

If you have a '95-97 model, your bulb has a blue cover over it. The part number is F57Z*13B765*AC. That bulb now lists for like $40. The parts man at the dealership said they may be discontinuing them and that is why the price had gone up so high.

Save yourself some money and get a bulb for a '98+ model. The part number is F87Z*13B765*DA. It has a green cover over it. This bulb costs about $10.

Simply take a razor blade and cut the rubber cover around the base of each bulb. Carefully pull off the green cover off the new bulb. Use it as a practice try because the covers are very easy to tear. Then carefully pull the blue cover from your old bulb and put it over your new bulb. You now have a bulb that will shine blue and saved $30.

Now that you are ready to install the bulb, make sure it clicks into place. NOT HAVING THE BULB IN TIGHT WILL MAKE IT BURN OUT VERY QUICKLY. Turning it with a flat-head screwdriver won't work because the tip is usually too fat and will actually start to destroy the plastic before the bulb will seat completely. I used a piece of sheetmetal to make a tool to install the bulb. I simply cut it to where the width would fit the slot in the base of the bulb and ground it thin enough to fit. I could then turn the bulb without mushing the plastic and make the bulb click into place. You will be able to feel it when it locks in. This will keep your bulb from burning out within the next few weeks.

Hope that helps!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unless you really like the color, it seems to me that the cover would heat up the bulb and shorten its life. I would ditch the cover.

My headlight switch bulb just went out. Question...how does the cover come off to replace it? I have a '00 model.

Another question, if you know, WHY does the light stay on ALL of the time anyway? Shouldn't it just come on when the light are on? Mine stayed on all of the time, when it was working. Thanks!

how to get to the bulb

The light stays on all the time so you can find your switch when it is dark. If it only came on with the lights, it would defeat the purpose of having a light behind it because you'd have to find the switch in the dark to turn it on anyways.

How to remove the bulb:

1 Take the screws out of the parking brake release and move it aside.

2 Do the same to the hood release.

3 First remove the 2 screws then pull the panel below the steering column off. It has push clips holding it in place.

4 Remove the bolts from the metal reinforcement behind the panel and remove it.

*I can't remember if you have to remove the radio before the next step or not, but I don't think you do.

5 Remove the 2 screws from the bezel around the radio, then pull it off. It has push clips holding it in place.

6 Remove the 5 screws from the panel around the instrument cluster. Move the shifter into 1 and carefully pull the panel out from above the steering column and to the left. Keep in mind that it still has the wires going to the switches attached to it.
*I can't remember if it has any push clips holding it in place or not. I think it does on the left hand side of it.

7 Disconnect the wiring harnesses from the headlight switch and the dimmer switch. A flat blade screwdriver works well the help pry them off.

8 Make a tool as described above to remove and install the bulb, then put everything back together in reverse.

Attachments

• light switch.gif
    light switch.gif
    33.4 KB · Views: 5,678

Do all the explorers have the controls that light up. I have had my 98 for awhile and ever since i bought it i have never seen it light up. The symbols don't even look like light could come through it. I just want to make sure before i start taking everyting apart and then find out that i never had it to begin with.... thanks
can someone send me a pic of one lit up because i don't think i have ever seen one that does on any explorer i have been in.

If you have a '95+ model there is a bulb behind the switch.

Thanks for the info yob_yeknom!

Great write-up!

I have an '01 Sport and don't remember ever seeing mine light up. Guess I'll have to pull it apart when I install my new stereo system and see if its just a bad bulb....if I ever get around to it. Its getting cold out now and I'm lazy, so it'll probably have to wait till spring. Plus I have to fix all the new problems on my Mustang first.:mad:

-Mike

$40 for just the headlight switch bulb? i just got a whole headlight switch assembly with the bulb for about $28.

Well I'll be doing this tomorrow. While I'm at it, does anyone know that part number for the blub in the fog light switch? I've got that one out too...

Such an educational web site !!!!!

Billabong02 said - Do all the explorers have the controls that light up. I have had my 98 for awhile and ever since i bought it i have never seen it light up. The symbols don't even look like light could come through it. I just want to make sure before i start taking everyting apart and then find out that i never had it to begin with.... thanks

Yes, all of the 98's light up everything. I have one also and if it says something on it, it will illuminate. Even the power window and door locks. Hope that helps.

HotDogs

Power Mirror Switch

Great info on the interior light switches.

Does anyone know whether the power mirror switch (located on the driver's door panel) on a 98 XLT also lights up? If so, can the bulb be replaced in a the same manner?

I just added this as a useful thread.

Power Mirror Switch

Nevermind on the power mirror switch. I pulled mine out today and can confirm that it does not light up.

We have two Explorers in the family--a l995 EB and a 1997 XLT and I have some different observations than are given in the previous threads.

Neither of them has the headlamp switch indicator light staying on all the time. It comes on in both of them only when you turn on the headlamps.

We replaced the whole headlamp switch assembly on the 1997 trying to fix a different problem. So, the new one had the bulb in it and now comes on only when you turn on the headlamps. (BTW the switch assy did not fix the problem we were troubleshooting)

My husband wanted to take a look at his 1995 headlamp bulb which he swore never lit up. He has owned his since it was new and never pulled the dash. His didn't have a bulb in it. We went to radio shack and bought some LED type thing for him to put it there. It's nice and bright now but only comes on when you turn the headlamp switch on.

Perhaps the confusion is because newer ones are set up different than the older EXP.

On my 98XLT it doesn't matter whether the headlight switch is off or on....as long as the key is on the switch is illuminated

Lee

Originally posted by Lee S.
On my 98XLT it doesn't matter whether the headlight switch is off or on....as long as the key is on the switch is illuminated

Lee
same here on my 96. i wish it would just come on when i turned the headlights on, that way it wouldn't burn out soo fast.

Originally posted by alphabets13
same here on my 96. i wish it would just come on when i turned the headlights on, that way it wouldn't burn out soo fast.

They do burn out to fast. Maybe mjbach is on to something. She seems to be the only one that I've seen whos switch lights up only when it's turned on.

Lee

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I guess hear yall are talking about the switch that actually turns your headlights on and off. But what about that little wheel device that is the dimmer for overhead lamps? Does that switch have a light behind it also? Mine has never lit up and is dark at night when I need to turn on overhead lights, it is hard to see. I think it actually dims the dash lights also.

HotDogs

Back