Jefe's Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jefe's Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier

I've been planning this for a long time now, but wanted to wait till my Body lift was out so I didn't have to fab up brackets twice.

I like the look of the stock rear bumper, so I wanted to keep it, so I figured out how I could keep it while reinforcing it to put a tire carrier on it.

Here's the AutoCAD design:

TOP:

top.jpg

BACK:

front.jpg

SIDE:

side.jpg

ISOMETRIC:

iso.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I built the gas can holder a few weeks ago:

all 1"x1"x 1/16" tubing

8-30_03.jpg

And with a Jerry can in it:

8-30_04.jpg

It still needs a little fabing of a bracket up top to hold the cans in.

That looks sweet! Keep up the good work.

And this weekend I fabbed up all the framework inside the bumper.

2x3x1/4 tube:

8-30_01.jpg

mounted on back:

8-30_02.jpg

Painting:

9-01_01.jpg

Installed inside shell of bumper:

9-01_03.jpg

close-up of trailer hitch mount

9-01_04.jpg

shows what needed trimming on the frame crossmember

9-01_05.jpg

And all done:

9-01_06.jpg

9-01_07.jpg

Now I just need some hinges and I'll be able to fab up the rest of it.

Damn that's nice. I'm impressed. CoryL has some nice hinges on his website. How's the SAS comming?

Is that a Purple Heart license plate?

Looks good, my one and only suggestion:

Figure out a way to lock down the filler caps on the gas cans. People will "borrow" gas when your not looking if they are full, unlocked, and no one's around.. I've had that happen on the Navajo.

jefes plate isnt a purple heart plate, it is the custome "kids" edition plate... it says " I (love=heart icon) TO 4X4

That looks awesome! Great job.

Jefe,
I'm very interested in whats behind the bumper and the reciever. I can't get a normal bolt on one b/c of my exhaust but thats just what I'm looking for!! Could you give somemore details about it?

I'm impressed Jefe. Looks like you're really good ad fabbing up an idea and making it work. I'm anxious to see it together.

Damn I need to learn to weld (well, get a welder and have at it :)).... Looks good!

Originally posted by IAmTodd
Jefe,
I'm very interested in whats behind the bumper and the reciever. I can't get a normal bolt on one b/c of my exhaust but thats just what I'm looking for!! Could you give somemore details about it?
The main piece is 2x3x1/4" tube, the receiver is the remains of a class-V draw-tite(?) receiver that I hacked up, and the braces from the tube to the receiver are 2x2x3/16 and 1 1/2x1 1/2x3/16 tube. The bracketry was both hacked up stock bracketry, and the bracketry off the hitch.

I don't plan on towing anything but a Sea-Doo so I'm not too worried about strength (not that I think its weak by any means). The only other thing I will use it for is to give someone (or receive) a strap, and we'll just have to see how it holds up. (I still have the tow hooks bolted to the frame as backup)

That's some real sweet welding there! :p

I'm going to try and weld up something to kinda match my front bumper...with a tire carrier and gas can holder.

Doubt it'll come out half as sweet as what you've got there, but I'ma try it. Prolly take me forever to finish it too.

Nice!

I might try to make something like that up this winter. I really need an answer to my hitch problems, and this is just it! I don't want to end up scraping up my platic and that from towing off of just the bumper.

nice dude but y do you need a extra gas containers ?whats where the spare used to go ?
just wondering cause i have a 117 litre aux fuel there

Originally posted by matey
nice dude but y do you need a extra gas containers ?whats where the spare used to go ?
just wondering cause i have a 117 litre aux fuel there
Spare gas is always nice to have while off-roading. I've actually run out of gas when I still had ~5 gallons in the tank because I was on a steep hill and all the gas went to the front, away from the pickup.
There is nothing where the spare used to go. Is your aux tank stock, or aftermarket?

mine is an after market one made for this car. i love it 200 litres means i only have to fill it once a month or on the highway its about 1400 km range

I dont know how in the hell I missed this thread... Lookin really nice Jefe!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That looks great Jefe. How does it actually latch together in the middle?

Back