1999 V8 AWD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 V8 AWD

Hi, I have a 99 AWD V8 Explorer XLT. I was wondering if anyone knows how fast these things are stock. I am going to take it to the racetrack in a couple of days and I was just wondering what I should expect. I will also weigh the truck when I get there. Thanks for the heads up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome!

Expect to run anywhere from mid 16s to mid 17s. We've had to awds just go to the track lately and both ran low to mid 17s. Hopefully you'll be a little faster. Do you have any mods done to your truck?

Thanks,
No mods yet (but only 34k miles). I would like to get a cat back exhaust, and intake. I also have a 2002 GMC Somona Crewcab (don't hate me for it) that I have run a best of 16.786 at 80.73 mph. I know the Explorer could destroy the GMC off the line.
When I launch the X should I brake torque it up or just launch it when the lights come down? The reason I ask is that I have seen other posts that say to rev it up to about 2400-2800. I have tried this with my X and I can't keep the truck from moving! I can barely hold it at 1500 rpms.
I am going to the track on Wednesday if the weather holds. I will post my times when I get back from the track.

welcome brad. :)

try braking it to around 1800. you should be able to hold it, just push down on the brake pedal harder. also, do a search on "throttle cable mod". there seems to be alot of EFI Fords out there with varying slack in the throttle cable. this will keep the truck from actually running wide open throttle. good luck at the track.

What track are you going to?

I am going to New York International Raceway Park. It is a nice track, hopefully it won't be to packed with cars. I would like to get some good runs in.
Thanks for the advice James T. I will try launching at 1800. I am pretty sure that I can hold it still at that rpm.

I went last Friday with my 2000 Limited AWD running very consistantly at 17.3?? @ 79mph.
Yeah I did the run it up to 2000+rpm's and on the last yellow light letting off the brake and flooring it.
Of course I was always ahead of everybody for the first few feet. :D

Hmmm, I need to search for info on the throttle cable mod that James speaks of.

Well I went racing last night. The track had alot of cars there. Most of them were imports. I only got 2 runs in before they started the bracket racing. My wife ran once with a passenger and I ran once on my own. The truck weighed 4,680lbs on the run with 2 people and 4,500lbs with just me and a 1/2 tank of gas. The run with 2 people netted a 17.165 at 79.74. That was my wifes first run ever! On my run, I ran a 16.860 at 80.87mph. Not to bad at all, about what I expected. My 60' time was 2.388 with a .651 r/t. I wasn't paying attention to the lights, I was trying to brake it up to 1800. Not to bad I guess.

Back