Will a '90 Ranger 5-speed fit in a '92 Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will a '90 Ranger 5-speed fit in a '92 Explorer?

El Duque

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Hiawatha, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Eddie Bauer
It's a 2.9. It should fit, right?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

4wd or 2wd?

The nuts and bolts say yes, but as for which drive shafts to use, not sure I will research this and get back with you.

also the 90 5 speed is weaker then the 92, after 94 they even got stronger.

yes it will bolt up.

Now keep in mind all Explorer's had the Mazda 5 speed, where as the 2.9L came with the Mazda, the Toyo Kogo and the Misubishi, with the Mistubishi being the most relaible of the 3 behind the 2.9L..............

Look for a 94+ Mazda for best results.

Also the flywheel on that 92 should be replaced, they break..........

Thanks for the help so far. Sorry, both the Ranger and Explorer are 4x4. The reason I ask is becuase the Ranger is my brother's, and he's going to junk it so he asked if I wanted to buy the trans. 5th gear in the Explorer doesn't work any more.

Sure, it will work, but behind a 4.0L just keep in mind it was not built for that torque.
Now on the other hand I nkow a guy with a 4.0L OHV in a 89 Ranger that he added a turbo charged too (yes yes a turbo 4.0L OHV) and he still has the original Toyo Kogo 5 speed. He drives like a old lady and the tranny is still fine........

so go for it, use it till you break it, just dont pay too much for it and dont beat the crap out of it

Thanks again. I guess I'll buy it, he only wants around $100 for it. Although, do you think it might be worth rebuilding the original trans? I'm not sure why 5th doesn't work, but it's going into another neutral.

the pre 94 Mazda 5 speed is a POS if you ask me.
I went through 3 of the Mazda 5 speeds before I finally converted to an automatic.......

I say do it. Some of those early 5 speeds last forever.
So for $100 I would do ti in a heart beat as long as you dont pay $800 to have it installed.

Just replace the clutch pack, slave cylinder, master cylinder, make sure you keep the fluid in it clean, and you will be in good shape.......

410, What changed in the M5R1 after 94? I am always worrying about my tranny even though it only has 80K on it.

i DUNNO I FORGET....But we can look it up:

www.therangerstation.com

The 5 speeds that came behind the 4.0L were 40% stronger internally that the 2.9L models (according to Ford)

As for updates, over the years the 5 speeds have gotten lots of updates, I am not sure what exactly was done, but the later the year the better the tranny......

410- I am running a built a4ld, but I want a 5 speed. I have a free 5 speed and manual transfer case out of a 83 ranger w/ a 2.8. Would that fit as well?

Would you swap in a 5 speed? I thought they were alot tougher than an auto.

Do you have any lines on a good 5 speed and the junk for the swap? I cant find any in Colorado Springs...

Thanks!

Back