Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > General Explorations!!

Notices

General Explorations!! Closed to new posts. Place new posts in our new model year appropriate forum

Heat Shield Rattle!!! How to fix?

Old 10-02-2003, 07:54 AM   #1
jsun
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
99 Explorer Sport SOHC 4x

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
CAN Heat Shield Rattle!!! How to fix?

Peeps,

I have noticed a rattle under the truck at cold idle after already having the engine pulled to replace the timing chain guides and cassettes. As I crawled underneath I had noticed the rattle to be coming from the muffler heat shield.

The Q is.... Should I just remove the heat shield or is there a fix to this that someone can recommend?

Thanks in advance!

J

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 10-02-2003, 08:00 AM   #2
Lifted95X
The Xplorer U Luv to H8
EASTPOINTE, MI

03 4.6 Mounty

Vehicle Specs

Just take it off.

Old 10-02-2003, 09:49 AM   #3
CADDYBILL
Broad Channel Queens NY
'94 EDDIE BAUER/ sold

Vehicle Specs

You could also get a big hose clamp from the plumbing supply and wrap it up. That's whats holding mine on.

Long Island Dreamboats
Old 10-02-2003, 10:49 AM   #4
woodychitwn
Chicago, Illinois
1994 Limited

Vehicle Specs

I thought I had the same problem, so I took off the heat shield, and the rattle is still there. To make it worse, the first time I drove through cold water with a hot exhaust, it snapped in two. And I'm still trying to track down the noise. In short, I'd double-think removing the heat shield.

Old 10-02-2003, 10:57 AM   #5
Lifted95X
The Xplorer U Luv to H8
EASTPOINTE, MI

03 4.6 Mounty

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally posted by woodychitwn
I thought I had the same problem, so I took off the heat shield, and the rattle is still there. To make it worse, the first time I drove through cold water with a hot exhaust, it snapped in two. And I'm still trying to track down the noise. In short, I'd double-think removing the heat shield.
That shouldn't happen. What about when it rains, or hits puddles...the heat shield does not cover your whole pipe.

Old 10-02-2003, 11:17 AM   #6
DeRocha
NEX Vice President
Brockton, MA

'93 XLT 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If the heat shields are in good shape then I would recommend the hose clamp method. (this is what a Ford dealer would do). Otherwise I would remove them if they're rotted out...

Your pipes would need to be in poor shape combined with a speedy trip through a deep puddle to cause one to break...Just my $0.02...

Repair info NEX-New England Explorers NEX: Club Events
Old 10-02-2003, 11:55 AM   #7
alphabets13
Elite Explorer

2004 Mountaineer Premier

Vehicle Specs

i had this problem recently and i thought it was my heat shield rattling. it wasn't. at the front of the leaf springs, the front meaning the part you can see if you get down and look on the side of your X right in front of the rear tires, there is a bracket of sorts that is there to hold the leafs together. i think it's really nothing but a precaution i guess. anyway, it was sliding around a few inches back and forth and that was the rattle. i placed in in one spot and jb welded it all around. now it's firm and problem is better than it was anyway, and no rattle. hope this helps.

Last edited by alphabets13; 10-02-2003 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-02-2003, 12:43 PM   #8
jsun
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
99 Explorer Sport SOHC 4x

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Great feedback gang!!!

Will try the strap method seeing as though the shield it self is in fairly good shape...

What type of hose straps are these? & where can I buy them(auto/home hardware shops)?

Also, I will check into the leaf spring clamps and such to ensure all is "good & tight"...

Bottom line is...I'll be under the truck this weekend shaking the heck out of everything to ensure I have this fixed!!!

Cheers,
J

Old 10-02-2003, 02:51 PM   #9
CarFreak146
Shawnee, Kansas
'94 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

oh the first gens (not sure about the newer models) there is also a heat shield on the downpipe, that was rattling on mine. I had my muffler guy tac weld it back to its bracket when I had my muffler installed. It has since came loose and is doing it again though. but anyway, enough of my useless dribble, check the heat shield on the downpipe while your at it.

'92 Ranger... 4wd, 2.3, 5spd, Explorer Buckets and Console, 2" Lift, 31's, Flat Black... WAAAAAYYYYY too slow!
Old 10-03-2003, 06:07 AM   #10
DeRocha
NEX Vice President
Brockton, MA

'93 XLT 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Wrap a string around the heat shield and then measure the string to see the approx clamp length you will need.
Get the hose clamps at a hardware store (Home depot or Lowes). They are stainless steel and will be in the plumbing dept.. They come in various sizes, but they can be attached to one another to make any size clamp you need... Don't overtighten the clamps when in place, otherwise you will crush the shield onto the exhaust negating the positive shielding effect.

Repair info NEX-New England Explorers NEX: Club Events

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page