• Register Today It's free!

Key Code ?!?!

sk8volcom14

Reaction score
City, State
Bakersfield, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer
hello, i lost my only set of keys to my explorer. i called the ford dealership to have them make a new set of keys, the guy said he needs the "key code", but he has no idea where it is, he only knows they give it to you when you buy the car....

does anyone know where the key code is???? not the keyless entry pad code, just for the key that starts the car.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

alright great!!!! thank you guys!!

they said i might have to get it towed in cause they have to do something with the computer chip or somethin...

Originally posted by sk8volcom14
they said i might have to get it towed in cause they have to do something with the computer chip or somethin...

Sounds like someone wants to rip you off.....

Call a good locksmith.. Most of them can make a key without an original. Had it done to my GF's old X last year when she lost the key. Me being the moron never made a duplicate key.

Originally posted by sk8volcom14

This is true. if you have the PATS key (Computer Chip Keys) they have to reprogram them before your engine will start. I think 98 was the first year of PATS system. Expect it to cost over $100 for everything (they will sell you 2 keys because thats the minimum number to be able to reporgram new keys) and each key is like $30, not to mention labor or reporgramming and cutting.

Good luck

Originally posted by 01EB5.0
This is true. if you have the PATS key (Computer Chip Keys) they have to reprogram them before your engine will start. I think 98 was the first year of PATS system. Expect it to cost over $100 for everything (they will sell you 2 keys because thats the minimum number to be able to reporgram new keys) and each key is like $30, not to mention labor or reporgramming and cutting.

Good luck

Not exactly.... see http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68728&highlight=pats+key

But he doesn;t even have 1 key...so how will either of the new keys get programemd unless it goes to ford??

yea i lost the only set!!!!

i ended up going through a local locksmith, who my friend used when he lost his keys to his 99' lightning.

he had some handheld electronic programmer or something that he used, he made the keys right there in front of us. he said he cancelled the old codes so that the old key wouldnt work. it cost 125$ for everything, 2 keys included.

Back