Dome Light LED Conversion | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dome Light LED Conversion

Firstly, thanks for the wealth of info here! Much better than a lot of other sites! That being said, I thought I'd contribute with my latest project (and first post, I hope it helps): converting the dome/map lights to LED.

Simply put, I wanted the interior lighting to be more white and clean. Because of my newfound fetish with LED lighting, I bought a bulk pack white of LEDs off ebay (50 LEDs with 50 resistors for use with 12V systems). I bought the 'breadboard' from radioshack.

This is just the beginning ... I plan on adding more LEDs in other practical places. I'm very pleased with the light output. I will say that the LEDs have an ever-so-slight tint of blue, but much much whiter than the stock bulbs.

Pics ... BTW, the LEDs are 5000mcd
inlight_1.jpg

interior_a.jpg

interior_b.jpg

interior_c.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

SWEET mod! I'm gonna start tinkering with LEDs, because I'm replacing all my dash bulbs with white LEDs in the future.

The bright white light is awesome.

WOW! I'm surprised to get so much feedback already! Thanks for the compliments! I'm not sure what the resistors are rated at. In fact, I know very little about electronics. I've read somewhere about determining resistor ratings according to the colored stripes on them - dunno.

To answer another question ... here is a photo of the BACK of the 'board.' Again, I don't know jack about electronics - but I'm sure there's a more efficient way of soldering-up everything than the way I have! What can I say, it works!

inlight_2.jpg

KILLER

I just replaced my steering wheel, cruise control bulbs with green LEDs. I chose LEDs because they last much longer than bulbs and even though the originals are bulbs they DO NOT SELL THEM AT FORD. You have to buy the whole switch. I just picked up some green accent ones at Auto Zone. On the ON/OFF switch the hot is the one on top on the RSM/SET ACCL/COAST button the hot is on bottom.
My original problem is that one went out. So, now I have replaced them with LED's. The bottom is significantly brighter than top of switches and it is not quite as bright as originals. If I had it to do again I would have used white and maybe painted lightly the back side of switches. I like them though. I am pleased. It is better than no light at all like before. Sweet mod though. I reall like it.

I used to know the formula

I used to know the formula for calculating resistance. I don't remember it. I also can't tell clearly what colors those are either. I know it works on percentage and you are starting with 12v.

Just a suggestion

And I hope you don't think I am trying to steal your thunder or downgrade you. I would have painted the boards. Possibly white to disguise/reflect, or silver for same effect or black to disguise. You might want to think about it and maybe mask of LED's and try it.

Nicaraguense, thanks for the input. Indeed had I seen your post before I began the project, I would've painted the boards - and may still do so.

During the day, if you look up at the dome light, you can notice the brown from the boards ... painting them would disguise that - and for lighting - if you painted them a reflective color, the light may reflect off of them, increasing output. Thanks for the constructive feedback!

Nice mod. and what can I say about your interior!! The first interior pic looks like it came out of a ford explorer catalog or something. CLEAN!!!

BTW, WELOCOME.

y3k

Y3K stole my words. Okay, he put into words what I coudn't. Yes, it is very nice and does look like something out of a Ford Magazine. Not just a nice mod, not just a nice truck. Nice Pic. Well taken.

y3kbuddy, thank you! I've had my Sport Trac for just over 3 years. It's my daily driver with just about 73,000 miles. I try to take care of if it and keep it lookin' new! So far so good!

Nicaraguense, I'm am independant photographer part time (which will hopefully change to full time someday). So that may help explain the photos :p !

Nice pictures! Those look straight out of a Ford brochure!

Can't really tell the color from the photo, so using R=V/I and assuming those LEDs are about 3.6v with 20ma and the explorer is 14v then:

14v - 3.6v / .02A = 520 ohms. So those resistors are probably 470-560 ohms. :)

Lookin back at that photo, those colors on the resistor look about right for 470-560ohms.
:thumbsup:

wired_af, yes, you're right about the KDSX980! I mainly picked it up for the mp3 aspect of it. I've got tons of mp3s that make this head unit ideal! I only wish it allowed playlists and could process mp3 data faster (like fastforward & rewind). Other than that, it's great.

Originally posted by SilverSportTrac
wired_af, yes, you're right about the KDSX980! I mainly picked it up for the mp3 aspect of it. I've got tons of mp3s that make this head unit ideal! I only wish it allowed playlists and could process mp3 data faster (like fastforward & rewind). Other than that, it's great.
Hell ya I got the same thing. Nice havin 36 albums on 3 CDs.

damn i love that.

WRITE UP MAN WRITE UP

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That looks great!

I plan to make custom LED:
parking lamps, brake lamps, and now interior dome and map lights :)

Thanks for the post!

Back