Mounting Radar detector above rear view mirror (pics) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mounting Radar detector above rear view mirror (pics)

hydroxy

I like to fiddle...
Reaction score
City, State
Fairfax, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Limited v6
Ok, in VA radar detectors are illegal. However I want to get one anyways =P What I was thinking is that I would attach it to power via the one of the power wires going to the bulbs in the front overhead area. That way there would already be a 'Lamp' switch for it. But then it would turn on w/ the doors opening/closing... hmm... Maybe I'll have two switches for it... but anyways.

Ok, here is where I need the most help... How to mount it and will it fit? This is where I want to mount it.

This isn't my ex...
10058397931_17_full_edited.jpg

This is though:
10058picture001_edited.jpg

Here are some pics of it mounted on other vehicles:

10058v1_drivervu.jpg

10058image002.jpg

I would need to make an enclosure for it, so that it would just look like a black lump when just sitting there. Excuse the ghettorific diagram... I am not the artistic type.

10058diagram.jpg

I'd want to put a decoy on the box, so that if a cop said "what is that?" I can flip a switch on it, and it will light up or do something to give the box a purpose other then housing a radar detector =P

V1 specs: 4.5 in. L x 3.6 in. W x 1.0 in. H.

Now - I can make a ghetto ass box and mount it (ask hokie about my ghetto mods :D ) But I want it to look nice. I've never worked with fiberglass or anything - I dont even know if that would be practical in this application. So, I'm looking for ideas on how to make the enclosure, mount it (perferably without permanent damage), what decoy to put on it, and anything else people can suggest.

Thanks
Patrick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

as a decot, you could mount a couple of LEDS on the bottom of it, and say they are accent lights. :D

I will probably do that - but I also need something that requires a big box there...

What about..... Putting the key part of a lock on the flip down door, and then say its a lock box for your sunglasses, money, etc. and its so high up so thieves can't see it from the outside of the car, b/c of the sun strip

That sounds dumb doesn't it? lol

That actually brings up a very very good point...

The box needs to be strong. And also, another reason for the decoy - if someone breaks in, they wont bother trying to open it, only thinking it is some stupid light or something.

what about just blending it into the overhead console, and using factory material to cover it, nobody would be basle to tell, if it were done right, not even cops.

I wouldn't know how to do that... atleast material wise... that is a good idea though, I could just make it look like the rear view mirror support....

hell, you could do it with wood, and just round all the corners to match the OH Console, you'd just have to use... say 5/8" plywood or something... as long as its think enough to round off after its put together.

would I have to worry about heat at all?

no, I don't see why you would, as long as you keep the back open for the sensors. That would allow some airflow.

heres another idea, my uncle lived in virginia and had a radar detecter, he took it apart and mounted the sensors in the rear view mirror and monted the rest of the radar detector in the ashtray all you could see was a few leds when the ashtray was open.

that is a great idea... and I might consider doing it... but with a ~$400 radar detector.... I wouldn't trust myself taking it apart

why don't you and him start a ghetto mod thread? maybe a ghetto ass mod thread? or even just a ghetto ass thread?

Just mount it without a stupid box around it... My friend has a Valentine 1 and it is the baddest of the bad when it comes to detectors.

if a cop sees a radar detector i think, "within arms reach" he can give you a ticket. My friend had his unplugged sitting on his dash and a bike cop pulled him over and gave him a ticket for it. was like $70 or something.

the velentine i am prety sure thats what u have pitured is able to be hidden in my dads mustang its under the seat but the arrows are on the dash like a remote thing its hard to explain but its only 1x2" or something like that its really small ill see if i can get some pics and send it to u

I know the remote thing you're talking about... but hiding it under a seat, I think would reduce its detecting ability by a great deal... I mean they talk on the website about how some OEM tinted glass w/ metallic pieces in them can cause havoc to the v1.

Pat, how did you know my dad has a V1?
10058v1_drivervu.jpg

Anyway, he's got his mounted just like this 'cept that its on the other side of the mirror (so when the cop passes you, the auto mirror will hide it some I guess).

The V1 comes with a hard wire plug that we mounted under the cup holders in the console. We tapped off his radio ignition sense power wire. The plug uses a phone cord to send power/ground to the unit. We ran this under the dash (behind the glove box) and up the window sill (behind trim) and under the roofliner to the unit. Very clean install and dad just takes it down when he's not using it and the wire/suction cup stays there.

Here's what i'm talking about. I boxed where dad's is and I boxed where mine is. I put mine there b/c I didn't have the hardwiring kit and it was tucked nicely behind my Honda parking sticker. Now that there's no Honda sticker, well, I guess I should move it.

Attachments

• radar_temp.jpg
    radar_temp.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 987

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Radar dectors MUST be mounted on the windshield or dash. If there is not a clear 'view' from the back of the detector, you're just wasting your money. There cannot be any metal in the detectors line of sight, if you read the manual, even your windshield wipers can alter performance.

The only way to have a hidden mount of the detector is to buy the one made by Passport that has around 5-6 sensors that you remote mount in the vehicle. But this thing costs $$$$

As for heat, the heat sink of my Passport is in the plug and not the unit. But its also nearly as old as me ;)

Back