• Register Today It's free!

Problem Removing Steering Rack

casey_wa

Reaction score
City, State
seattle, washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 eddie bauer
...bit stumped at this time. I have a 1996 Ford Explorer, AWD, 5.0 V8. In the process of swapping out the power steering rack due to a case of "morning sickness".
The instructions I have are from the Chilton's Manual and off the internet. Bottom line, the instructions are generic and I am looking for some specific help. I have the rack loose but can not figure out how to get it out. I have a feeling that the during the assembly of the vehicle at the plant the rack was dropped in to the chassis and the engine dropped onto the top of the rack. Have a few digital photos but not sure how to include in this forum.

There is a drop down lateral crossmember that is welded to the two chassis longitudinal rails. The rack sits atop this crossmember and passes through a "tunnel" just under the chassis rails. The engine oil pan and filter hover just over the rack. The tie rod ends are "firmly" attached to each end of the rack. (New tie rod ends will be attached to the replacement rack). Keeping this short...the rack just will not move one way or the other far enough to come out. Kinda wonder too how the replacement rack will get in.

I have a feeling that the engine will need to be lifted up a few inches to get the rack in and out.

Any help is appreciated...wish I had a shop manual but dealerships are not willing to sell one.

Thanks...

Casey

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Done that...

Appreciate the Autozone website...this is one of the instructions that I used from the internet. Not bad, except for does not address getting the rack in and out of the chassis. Autozone makes it sound like the rack just unbolts and drops out...not so. The rack is kinda trapped in...thanks again. Let me know if you come across any further ideas.

Casey

My book says the following, after removing the power steering cooler, the front stabilizer bar, and separating the tie rod ends from the wheel spindles:

Remove the steering gear from the vehicle. Begin by rotating the top of the steering rack towards the front of the vehicle, then slide the gear as far to the right as possible within the crossmember. Now angle the left side of the rack ahead of the cross member and pull the whole assembly out to the left.

Good Luck!

Thanks JDraper...this is what I thought also since the control valve housing sits tucked up to the left side of the engine and oil filter. The control valve housing would need to be rotated till it is pointing nearly straight forward...problem is the clearance between the lateral crossmember and the bottom of the oil pan prevents the rack from rotating more than about 45 degrees. This is why I was wondering if additional clearance was needed by lifting the engine up about an inch...

Thanks again
Casey

Jefe...the thought crossed my mind that the unit was installed as a short rack with the inner tie rods installed into their sockets. I do believe that the unit will slide in as JDraper stated as a complete unit. I am curious about the removal of the inner tie rod ends...

Thanks
Casey

...just learned that All-Data said that the four engine mount bolts need to be removed so that the engine can be lifted up one and half inches for clearance. Apparently the lower shock bolts need to be removed leaving the shocks to hang. Don't know why since the shocks are rearward of the rack and not in the way.

Casey

Okay, engine moved up about 1 1/2 inches so seem to have the room...except for the oil filter that is attached to an oil cooler on the left side of the engine is preventing the valve housing of the rack to rotate forward. A large hose from the bottom of the radiator attaches to the oil cooler and a large bolt appears to attach the cooler to the engine. The filter spins onto the cooler. The cooler is labelled with "Ford" and "Long Oil Coolers, Inc".

Would like to know a little more about this cooler and how it is attached to the engine. Seems that this is the hold up in getting the rack out.

Thanks again...
Casey

Wow. . .thats a lot of work. When I pulled mine out (while doing the SAS) I just removed the inner tie rods, lines and cooler and then it cleared everything coming out (much like JDrapers explanation).

To remove the inner tie rods, just steer the vehicle one way, pop the boot off and spin the tie-rod off with a pipe wrench, then steer the other way to do the other side

Thanks Jefe....I was wondering about that since some places sell short racks without the inner tie rods. I just could not find anything that explained how to do this and the diagram I had breaking down a rack was not clear. I removed the tie rod ends...but the rods themselves just rotated...the diagram made the rods look like they had a ball on the end that was in some kind of socket. I could of rotated them all day long. Where were you putting the wrench?

Thanks
Casey

Back