Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations"® > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Elite Explorer 911!

Notices

Elite Explorer 911! 911! is for situations where your truck is currently out of commission and the owner is in a crisis situation. Members will try to answer your questions asap, no time frame is guaranteed. Only Elite Explorers can post new threads in this forum

Lower control arm removal

Old 01-01-2004, 04:04 PM   #1
casey_wa
seattle, washington
96 eddie bauer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Question Lower control arm removal

Needing to slide power steering rack through passenger side frame for removal. The lower control arm attachment at the chassis is preventing the rack from sliding far enough to remove. Would like to disconnect the lower control arm but note that there is pressure from the torsion bar. The front of the vehicle is being supported with jack stands at the driver lower control arm, passenger side of front crossmember and both sides of the frame just rearward of the front wheels.

The front wheels are off the vehicle and the passenger lower control are is hanging down unsupported. Like advice about disconnecting this lower control arm.

Thanks
Casey
casey_wa is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 01-06-2004, 07:29 AM   #2
checkedout
Elite Explorer
Falling Waters WV

1996 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

Arm, Lower, Explorer
SPECIAL SERVICE TOOL(S) REQUIRED

³ Description ³ Tool Number ³

³ Pitman Arm Puller ³ T64P-3590-F ³

³ Torsion Bar Tool ³ T95T-5310-A ³

Note:
Any time a front suspension lower arm is removed, the vehicle ride height must be checked. Refer to «Section 04-00».

Removal

1. Place the steering wheel and steering system in the on-center position.
2. Raise vehicle on a hoist. Remove wheel and tire assembly. Refer to «Section 04-04».

3. Disconnect stabilizer bar link bolt from front suspension lower arm (3078).

4. Remove the two nuts attaching front shock absorber to the front suspension lower arm assembly.

5. Note: After removing the front shock absorber, support the front suspension arm bushing joint (3085) and front wheel hub and spindle (3K206) to prevent damage.

Remove the upper nut and washer retaining the front shock absorber. Remove the front shock absorber.

6. Support the vehicle with safety stands under the jacking pads and lower the hoist, but maintain working room.

7. Remove torsion bar.

8. Loosen the two front suspension lower arm (3079) pivot bolts.

9. Remove the cotter pin and loosen. Do not remove nut attaching the front suspension lower arm ball joint (3050) to the front wheel hub and spindle.

10. Using Pitman Arm Puller T64P-3590-F, loosen the front suspension lower arm ball joint. Remove the puller.

11. Supporting front suspension lower arm with a jack, remove the ball joint nut.

12. Raise the front suspension lower arm and disconnect front wheel spindle (3105) from the front suspension lower arm ball joint.
13. Remove the bolts and nuts retaining the front suspension lower arm to the front crossmember (5019). Remove the front suspension lower arm.

14. Replace entire front suspension lower arm assembly-to-service bushings.

over 290k
checkedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:52 PM   #3
jimbo5311
Brooklawn NEW JERSEY
2002 mercury mountianeer

Vehicle Specs

i have a 02 mercury mountianeer, is this what i,m looking for for replacing the lower control arm,,? sorry i,m new to this site, thanks jim,, from NJ,
jimbo5311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:25 PM   #4
k-pendow
Northwest Indiana
95 Ranger

Vehicle Specs

If you are replacing the rack and pinion you do not have to remove the control arm, you are supposed to remove the bushings from the rack and then it will fit through. Makes it easier if you remove the driver's side inner tie rod. Those bushing are a pain to get out but I have done a bunch of racks in these and it will work. I think on 5.0 you are supposed to jack motor up some but it can be done without, just takes alot of patience no matter which motor.
k-pendow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:33 PM   #5
jimbo5311
Brooklawn NEW JERSEY
2002 mercury mountianeer

Vehicle Specs

thanks guys for your help, i checked with the ford dealer because i was told there are two differnt types of lower control arms for this year and model, ,, they are either torsion bar, or spring coil,, i have spring coil,,,, thanks for coming to my resue, pictures would be nice,, lol, but het i'm learning, thanks to guys like yourselves,, keep up the good work,,,, JIM from NJ.
jimbo5311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:25 PM   #6
Napu(StrongWave)
Elite Explorer
Marrero,La
2001 Sport Trac Gen 1

Vehicle Specs

I have to replace lower control arm bushings. Just going to install new arm instead. Thanks for posting.
Napu(StrongWave) is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page