• Register Today It's free!

Stuck in 4 Wheel Drive

loopylori35

Reaction score
City, State
Covington, Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT 4WD
I just bought this 1997 Ford Explorer XLT with 4WD. This is my first experience with a 4WD and am quickly starting to believe that I will never have another one. The 4WD and 4WD Low lights on dash blink 6 times then go out for about 5 minutes and come on again. This goes on the entire time driving the vehicle. It is hard to steer and feels bogged down. We think it is stuck in 4WD. I have looked on internet and found someone having same problem. They were told it was the Actuator motor for 4WD. Ford dealership had no clue what I was talking about. HELP!:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would disconnect the negative battery cable for about ten minutes. then see if the problem is still there first.

If disconnecting the battery does not help, it is possible that it could be permanently locked into 4 wheel drive :(

Alot of members have had it happen to them. The 97 explorer transfer case is especially troublesome as well.

stuck in 4WD

Would disconnecting the battery disengage the 4WD, or does this just solve the lights coming on?

Is there any way to fix it if it is stuck in 4WD permanently.

This is probably a stupid questions, but can you disconnect the 4WD and still have 2WD?

Disconnecting the battery will reset the computer and MAY fix the problem. I don't the answers to your other questions.

Is the switch in 2WD? It may turn out to be the transfercase shift motor but try the Battery trick first.

The lights flashing is a code telling you what is wrong...I don't know the codes for it...but they do exist.

Run a search for flashing 4x4 lights...

If you can get it to an auto zone I think that they can scan the codes for free. If the actuator moter is the culprit you can clean it. Alot of members have done it here, just do a search and you'll find all the info needed. I don't know if a dirty actuator motor would cause an error code though. Get the codes and i'm sure someone here can help more than me.

Later
CP :( (Dora is out of commision for a while.)

If you can get it to an auto zone I think that they can scan the codes for free (might want to call ahead). If the actuator motor is the culprit you can clean it. Alot of members have done it here, just do a search and you'll find all the info needed. I don't know if a dirty actuator motor would cause an error code though. Get the codes and i'm sure someone here can help more than me.

Later
CP :( (Dora is out of commision for a while.)

Autozone probably won't be able to scan the codes for the 4wd but I'm not 100% sure. I know they have a pretty basic code reader. Try cleaning your shift motor's sensors. Most times that's the culprit or your control trac is on it's way out.

On the 4405, the actuator motor is only used to switch from low to high. Not 4-low, 4-high, neutral, and 2-high like the 1354. So if you don't think you're stuck in 4-low, then it's unlikely that the actuator motor is the problem.

Drain the fluid in the transfer case

If nothing else, it is at least old. I bought a 97 with flashing lights and felt like it was engaging at low speeds. Previous owner even put a new shift motor on. Drained fluid and only a pint of nasty fluid came out. Should be 1 3/4 quarts Mercon. New fluid and disconnect battery = no problems for 2 years. Had to replace leaking rear seal. Clutch grabs with low fluid.

any updates Lori?

stuck in 4wd

I took it to Ford. They told me it was the Front Shift Speed Sensor needing to be replaced. How hard it this to put on? Ford wants an arm and leg to put it on. They also told me that the Front Pinion Seal was leaking transfer case fluid and that I needed a Trans flush.

Other than that, I love my Ford Explorer.

Did you try to dissconect the battery? How hard to replace the Hall effect speed sensor depends on your ability. It's pretty easy, you'll have to remove the transfercase shift motor to gain access to the sensor for the front drive shaft. It's held in with one bolt, you can cut and splice the wires or remove the red part of the plug and pull out the pins from the old sensor and push in the pins from the new.

Is it the Front Pinion Seal leaking GEAR oil or the front output shaft leaking transfercase oil?

stuck in 4WD

I think it is leaking transfer case oil.

The place where I bought it from replaced the sensor and so far it is working fine.

Where can I obtain an owner's manual for this vehicle other than the printing company the Ford dealership sent me to?

If it's leaking from the front output shaft oil seal here is the procedure:

Oil Seal, Output Shaft -- Front

Removal

1. Raise the vehicle on a hoist and position suitable safety stands under vehicle.

2. If so equipped, remove the nut, bolts and skid plate from the frame.

3. Remove the damper from the transfer case (7A195) if so equipped.

4. Place the drain pan under the transfer case, remove the drainplug and drain the fluid from the transfer case.

5. Remove the front driveshaft (4602) from the output shaft. Wire the driveshaft out of the way.

6. Using a 30mm (1.18-inch) thin-wall socket, remove the output shaft nut, output shaft yoke washer (7B368), rubber seal and case flange.

7. Remove the yoke to flange seal (7B215) from the front output housing bore by prying and pulling on the curved-up lip of the yoke to flange seal or use the Impact Slide Hammer T50T-100-A to pop off the yoke to flange seal. Do not damage the bearing, bearing cage or case.

If it's something else let us know.

Loopylori, in addition to the factory manual, which I use alot, I also bought a Haynes manual, you can get them at most autoparts stores, i think mine cost 16.00, but it has saved be who knows how much. It really goes into detail of how to perform repairs on your own, and includes pictures (which I really need sometimes). I'm just recomending it since i've found it to be a great resource for my explorer. And this site!

Later
CP :D

if it is still stuck in 4wd you can unplug the transfercase harness until you can get it fixed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by Billy177
if it is still stuck in 4wd you can unplug the transfercase harness until you can get it fixed

or you can unplug the shift motor and try to turn it manually

Back