Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Elite Explorer 911!

Notices

Elite Explorer 911! 911! is for situations where your truck is currently out of commission and the owner is in a crisis situation. Members will try to answer your questions asap, no time frame is guaranteed. Only Elite Explorers can post new threads in this forum

Runs rough, CE lite on, no power

Old 01-21-2004, 08:48 AM   #1
OldYankee
Concord, MA
'98 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Unhappy Runs rough, CE lite on, no power

I'm bummed, my baby is hurting and I don't how to make her feel better...

I recently had the thermostat and fan belt changed, then in less than 200 miles, the engine started acting weird. On a particulalry long, steep hill in northern NH, the check engine light came on and she started to run rough. I figured the cold might be part of the problem (-14F), and I assured myself that when I get back home (in MA) that I would have it checked.

Well, I changed the plugs and wires, and replaced the rear O2 sensor.

The engine still ran rough when accelerating, and dropped in RPMs when Idling to around 500-600 to almost stalling. Also, there was a knocking, not a tapping like water in the fuel, but knocking in the engine at all times (that it was running). I had lost alot of power to climb hills and accelerate, too.

I dropped it off at the Ford dealer, the diags said that cyclinder 4 & 5 were misfiring and they suspect the timing chain has problems. They need to remove the front of the engine to see what the problems are ($400). Then if the problem is timing chain only, then another $8-900 to fix that, but possibly, on the high-end, $3500 for a new engine.

I'm in shock.

Something doesn't sound right to me, and I need more opinions from those who know.

born in Maine, living in exile...

Last edited by OldYankee; 01-22-2004 at 09:59 AM.
OldYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn what modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to see less ads, no green underlined links, and many other benefits such as being able to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 01-21-2004, 06:06 PM   #2
Billy177
Redding CT
99 Explorer XLT SOHC 4x4

Vehicle Specs

did you ever have the recalls performed i would change the plugs and wires but the dealers diagnostics is very possible

TT + Shackles, 200 Amp Alternator,
Autometer Gauges, 150 Watt Lights
Detroit Locker in Rear
Billy177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 06:11 PM   #3
section525
sextion525
Red Bluff, Ca

1975 Ford Bronco 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Sounds like a coil pack to me. I've had two go out in my V8 so far. Might as well check that first since its only $50 or so.

'75 5.0 Bronco
'04 6.0 Super Duty
section525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 09:07 AM   #4
OldYankee
Concord, MA
'98 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
She has new plugs and wires. I replaced those when before bringing it to the dealer. She runs better, but the problems still are the same.

Old 01-22-2004, 09:57 AM   #5
OldYankee
Concord, MA
'98 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Cool Feeling good

GREAT NEWS!

I just spoke to the dealer, they tore open the engine to check out the timing chain, and there was more broken than they thought.

On the other hand, since I had only 97,000 miles on her, the repairs fall under one of Ford's warranty repair plans and it will be covered, completely. Everything. Today is a good day...maybe I'll buy a lottery ticket!

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page