Bank#2 o2 sensor location?

96_explorer.com

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, TeXaS.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Eddie Bauer
Hi guys,

I have a 96 4.0L "X" and I have a check engine light that came on. But anyways I took it down to AutoZone to have them run a computer check and it had a code that it was a 02 sensor in bank#2.

Well I purchased the 02 sensor and the autozone dude told me that bank#2 location is the one on the passagner side by the exhaust (catback area).
So I put it in and had them reset the code and poof "check engine light" is back on :( .
I think the AZ dude told me the wrong location. So do any of you guys know which one is the bank#2 location is for the 02 sensor?

I see that there are a total of "3" o2 sensors. each on the passagner and driver side,, but up by the hedders.

Thanks if any of you guys can help me out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bank one is always where spark plug #1 is, so bank 2 is on the drivers side. If it says sensor two, it is after the cat. Now, did he say bank or sensor #2. This is why you should always write down the actual code number and not listen to some guy who makes minimum wage.

Originally posted by 96_explorer.com
Hi guys,

I have a 96 4.0L "X" and I have a check engine light that came on. But anyways I took it down to AutoZone to have them run a computer check and it had a code that it was a 02 sensor in bank#2.

Well I purchased the 02 sensor and the autozone dude told me that bank#2 location is the one on the passagner side by the exhaust (catback area).
So I put it in and had them reset the code and poof "check engine light" is back on :( .
I think the AZ dude told me the wrong location. So do any of you guys know which one is the bank#2 location is for the 02 sensor?

I see that there are a total of "3" o2 sensors. each on the passagner and driver side,, but up by the hedders.

Thanks if any of you guys can help me out.

Bank 2 is the drivers side. Don't forget to disconnect the battery for 15 minutes after replacing the 02 sensor.

if one failed i would reccomnd replacing them all if they are original from 96 you will notice much more power a smoother running engine and better gasmilage.

Damn ,, soo the driver side huh? :(

Well I might as well just replace that one as well. The one that looks like a pain in the a$$ to replace is the one on the passagner side up by the hedders. Thank god it is not that one.

Thanks all.

off to AZ to get it done.

O2 sensors of 96 explorer, need your help

Hi everyone, I am new here so if I mess something up with posting in wrong place do forgive me.

I just purchased an old ford explorer 96 40l v6, I can't really tell what trim it is as it has weird options on it. It has leather power seats, moon roof but no console between the front seats. No auto dim mirror but electric controlled outside ones and power windows. In total I can't tell what it is.

Anyhow, when I got the car it was in rather bad conditions from old owner not being a car lover. He have ripped off the cruise control buttons, some how disable the OD button and engine on constant "engine check" status. So I went and wanted to check the o2 sensors. Strangely I only found 2 instead of three, the third one has a screw put in we're the sensor should be. I looked up on the forum to see if the car has 3 or only 2 sensors but the information varies. Also I cannot find any wire harness or cut ends that might be left behind by disabling the last sensor. Oh and I forgot, the one that missing is the one behind the emission control unit.

Could any one tell me how many sensors does ford explorer 96 has and if mine is missing we're does the wire start so I can rerun it? The problems with OD and cruise control probably will have to wait till later, don't want to flood the topic with unrelated things.

Thanks ahead and eagerly waiting for your response.

vin identification number

To identify the vehicle use the vin number on the dash (drivers) side.
look up vin number online it should tell you year make, engine id.
then you will find out if you have a 4.0l or a 4.0l sohc engine.

As for the O2 sensor I have only had engines with the six as reported in the book and online.

Yes, you may just as well replace both of them.
I replaced the easy one (drivers side, after the cat), then got another code telling me the one that not only looks like a pain, but is a pain was bad, lol
The sensor itself was not hard getting out, but the wire connector is on top of the trans bell housing was the pain. (you may have to twist your arm 5 different ways).

wow, you guys saved me some time! My mechanic guy, Aaron, told me it was ck engine code 172, EGO not switching, Lean Bank 2. Now I know it's the driver's side sensor to check the wires & ensure not pinched. If it's not, I'll replace as the Ford's been non-op 10+ years. I need her now & she's only got 132K miles. Will revisit after I check it out. Thanks to ALL of you!

Damn ,, soo the driver side huh? :(

Well I might as well just replace that one as well. The one that looks like a pain in the a$$ to replace is the one on the passagner side up by the hedders. Thank god it is not that one.

Thanks all.

off to AZ to get it done.

I read on another thread. Remove center console and there is an access panel for O2 sensor replacement.

Back