GJarrett

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Chief GPS'um and Still Lost Native Texan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 EB 4x4 "Herc" RIP
I am continually amazed at the weekly emails I get from people requesting a picure of the "Swiss Cheese" drilled airbox modification so that they can see just exactly and precisely how to do it even thought we continually try to assure them that there's no set way to do it: just have at it and drill away. (Just be sure to only drill the BOTTOM half BELOW the air filter or you'll suck unfiltered air into your engine!)

I give up. By popular request here is a picture of my airbox.

In order to get the very best results and improved breathing for your engine, you must perforate it precisely the very same way that I did in the exact same positions and with the same size holes. Dead Link Removed

101airbox.jpg

I suggest that you superimpose this picture on a 3-D cad analysis program to get an accurate modification blueprint. Dead Link Removed

Now, you may also be wondering Dead Link Removed exactly what tools are required to achieve the critical accuracy needed to best perform this modification. So, for everyone's edification and reference, I've also included a picture of the tools needed:

101airboxtools.jpg

Please note that the top tool is more accurate but also slower and more tedious, while the bottom tool is quicker to use and a lot more fun Dead Link Removed

I hope this helps everyone, and answers all of those questions and requests for pictures. Dead Link Removed

------------------
Gerald
"Nerves of Steel; Brain of Chipmunk"
'99 Eddie Bauer 4x4 4.0L SOHC aka "The Jeepeater"
Dead Link Removed
"What the heck is he doing out here in that thing???"

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had to say Dead Link Removed
Mat

------------------
1992 Ford Explorer XLT
Interested in trucks..?
Me too. Check out my web page.
MatnChad.com
www.matnchad.com

Hehe...

Overheard while modifying air box...
"READY!"
"PULL!"
LOUD BANG
"OK, lets put it back in the truck and see how it works!!"

------------------
1997 Eddie Bauer 4x4 4.0L SOHC

WARNING: Please remove airbox from vehicle before applying the precision swiss cheese alteration. Failure to do so may result in damage to the vehicle and any passingers.

Gerald, I'm working on an adapter for the clay pigeon launcher that will accept various sizes of airbox.

------------------
Tom
99 Sport 4x4
SOHC
Auburn Rear & Gerald's old Shackles
265/75-R16 BFG AT's that weren't supposed to fit

Gee i must have missed a whole some where , i went by your plans but i only gained 20 horse power. guess i better re-look at the plans and get that precise drill bit in there again. i need the full 25 horse power that the mod will offer. ( maybe i shouldnt say that caus ein a day you will twice as amny e-mails GJarrett about how much horse power you really gain!) maybe 1 if any but it sounds cool. ive done mine but not as advanced as GJarrett's is . Later

------------------
1991 Eddie Bauer 4x4
K&N drop in filter, Modified air box.
3" lift 31x10.50's
Dunlop R/V's.
Sway bar quick disconects disc.http://www.freeyellow.com/members8/91fordexplorer/index.html

Tom, what a great idea.

I think we ought to get RonCo to sell it on a late-nite infomercial, whaddya think? The possibilities are endless.

Ya'll are just too funny. Dead Link Removed
I think you should use this instead. Dead Link Removed
And Tom is right, take it out of the truck first. Dead Link Removed

[edit - to see the picture, please click on the link and fill in the username/password request.]

Dead Link Removed

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L.
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC
Dead Link Removed

DOH!!!

I read the post about how to modify the box i just forgot to read the part about taking it out first, now i got a big hole in the side of my Explorer. . . . just kiddin.
I dont know about the RonCo idea i have not seen him around as much as i once did he might not be the person to get if we really want this to catch on.

damn...I think I have a better reason to get me a gun now, "so I can easily add more holes in my airbox", just kidding! :)

------------------
'92 XLT 4x4
4.0L EFI V6
[NSFR671]

GJarrett - Dead Link Removed Too many people think similar to the way I do, now THAT is scary!

Ray - we are unquestonably thinking similarly!!! I Dead Link Removed every time I see a picture of one of those. I think I'll go look at one now... Dead Link Removed

------------------
David Cider
'92 Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0L 4Dr 4...

Current Mods:
JBA silver ceramic headers, hi flo cat, Thrush muffler, KKM Air intake, SuperChip, Magnacor wires and Motorcraft Double Platnum plugs

Pending Mods:
4" to 6" Suspension Lift, Tires & Wheels, Euro Guard bumper and Warn winch, rear tire rack w/gas can provisions, screw supercharger and high flow heads...

David,
I had to pick up my last "Evil Weapon" before Y2k and it just so happened to be an FAL. I'll tell you, I don't know how I went so long without having one before. I just love it. Dead Link Removed I do know of a way to get one legally in our wonderful state, and that is to have the gas tube hole welded shut, but it would become a single shot rifle, and you could even keep the flash hider on it. I am seriously thinking about getting a kit and doing that. I already have plenty of 20 round mags, and with the price of kits being so cheap, Why Not. I could take it anywhere and State.org couldn't do a thing about it. Dead Link Removed Besides if I buy and extra barrel and gas tube, if I leave the state or we can over turn SB23 I can change it back to semiauto. Dead Link Removed

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L.
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC
Dead Link Removed

Ray,

I got all my "critical" parts before 11-97 when they were still listing them as "long guns" and not the brand/model. I spent the remaining time till Y2K getting the other "critical" parts, magazines. The only things I'm interested in these days are a O/U Citori, and a few select bolt actions...

-D

------------------
David Cider
'92 Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0L 4Dr 4...

Current Mods:
JBA silver ceramic headers, hi flo cat, Thrush muffler, KKM Air intake, SuperChip, Magnacor wires and Motorcraft Double Platnum plugs

Pending Mods:
4" to 6" Suspension Lift, Tires & Wheels, Euro Guard bumper and Warn winch, rear tire rack w/gas can provisions, screw supercharger and high flow heads...

Just wondering why the front isn't cut off of the air box? Doesn't drilling that many holes allow hot engine bay air into the intake? or is this just a big joke I don't know about?

Originally posted by Joey p.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: @ OC_Explorer
LOL!

Nice to bring back a 4-yr old thread and suggest to get something else. Well, you never know. LOL! :D

Originally posted by OC_Explorer
y dont you just get a kkm instead.
This is free. Go spend all you want to, it's your money.

Originally posted by 00XLS
Just wondering why the front isn't cut off of the air box? Doesn't drilling that many holes allow hot engine bay air into the intake? or is this just a big joke I don't know about?

Cutting the entire front off would weaken it so much that it wouldn't stay together.

There are other later threads talking about the hot air but my experience has been that the free-er flowing air in combo with a good catback exhaust more than offsets the hotter engine bay air. I have noticed a feel-of-the-pants loss of power in extremely hot weather (100 degrees plus) but don't know if that was my imagination, an actual loss of power, or would have happened anyway in weather that hot.

Will drilling the air box on my '91 be effective? Or should I forget about gaining 30hp for free? I want my 150hp back that I had stock!!

Shane

As I've said, it does seem to be effective when combined with a good catback exhaust system to help take advantage of the better airflow. Plus, it sounds great :D

As far as HP claims, no one has done that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

im going to do this today..thank's for the pic's!!

Back