Largest tires that will fit on a 97 explorer sport 4x4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Largest tires that will fit on a 97 explorer sport 4x4

What are the largest tires that will fit on a 1997 Explorer Sport 4x4? I have the 16 inch chrome rims. I'm sure its larger than the stock 255 70 R16's I have. This answer has been hinted at in other posts and I'm guessing it would be 265 75 R16's that would be the largest but if anyone knows I would really appreciate the info. Stock suspension set up. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by rafar99
What are the largest tires that will fit on a 1997 Explorer Sport 4x4? I have the 16 inch chrome rims. I'm sure its larger than the stock 255 70 R16's I have. This answer has been hinted at in other posts and I'm guessing it would be 265 75 R16's that would be the largest but if anyone knows I would really appreciate the info. Stock suspension set up. Thanks!

I posted this reply on the Ford Explorer newsgroup. Fortunately the pictures are easier to post here with the long links.

265 75R16s fit excellent on my '97 4x4 Sport. Follow this link to see a picture of how the tire fills the wheel well:
1097000621-01.jpg

I had to do very minor trimming which is shown in picture 2:

1097000621-02.jpg

When out romping through the desert, the inside top of the wheel wells were shiney so the tires probably touched them when at full compression but not enough to worry about. On the street they never touch. Fortunately you already have the 4.10 axle. With the larger tires, the power loss feels about the same as turning on your A/C. Your speedometer will be about 4-5 MPH off at 65 MPH but I fixed that with an $8.00 speedometer gear from Ford. The tires look and ride great. Discount Tires had no problem putting them on for me. They even test fit one the day before to be sure they would fit. The rear tires are no problem at all.

Robert

[Edited by Robert on 06-23-2000 at 11:59 AM]

BFG AT K/O 265 75 R16's

I just purchased a set of 4 BFG AT K/O 265 75 R16's Saturday, I had the same problem that Robert was having, (some rubbing on the lower front wheel well moulding). Today at Lunch time I took the plastic molded parts off and cut them so that there is no more rubbing, Now all is Good! Let me tell you, the BFG AT K/O 265 75 R16's Really make a Stock Explorer Look Mean!

[Edited by CBoug76 on 11-06-2000 at 11:29 AM]

I did exactly what Robert did; I put the BFG 265/75-R16's on my sport and had to trim the same spot. I've had no rubbing, even off road and I know that I had the springs at full compression as evidenced by the clean marks that the rubber stops left on the control arms. Unfortunately, I don't have a close-up picture of my trim job, but it is the same as Robert's.

Here's a shot of the truck at moab:

moab_tomwilk.jpg

Note that I removed the step bars for added clearance.

Also note that this photo was taken before the new OME rear springs. Picture about 2" more clearance above the rear tires. :)

[Edited by Tom Wilk on 06-28-2000 at 08:04 AM]

Biggest tires for a 97 sport ?

rafar99,
How about ("32.8")285/75R16s? They work well on my 95 Sport, and with the torsion lift/upgrade, and shackles on the rear there is room for travel. I did the same trimming that Tom and Robert did. I suggest 32/11.5x16s for the almost perfect solution. No trimming, and only slight rub on the sway bar at full lock. They look better because they are wider also. Check out my page link below for pictures of both front and back clearances on the stock 255/70R16s, 32/11.5-16 Mickey Thompsons, and Dunlop LT285/75R16s. All are shown with the torsion bar swap and lift.Gerald runs the same size (285/75R16) tire, but with an extra inch of body lift. He has some good pics also.
Rick
Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed

[Edited by ExplorGM on 06-26-2000 at 04:27 PM]

Speedometer Gear?

Robert,
What was the part number for the Speedo Gear. How did you determine which gear to buy?
Thanks,
Rick

I got the BF GoodRich 265's

Due to your input guys I got the BF GoodRich All Terrain KO's in the LT265 75R16 variety. Damn they look good! Very tough tire. Plus, the tech at NTB where I bought the tires kindly and professionally removed that little piece of plastic for me. Gotta hand it to ford for allowing room for 32 inch tires on a stock setup!

Rafar99,
if you don't mind me asking, How much did you spend for the tires? I Also got mine at a NTB, in Tax Free New Hampshire. Well I paid 699.48 for 4 - BFG AT K/O 265 75 R16's and I got all the Flat Protection, Side wall Blow out, and life time balance and rotation. IM just curious to see what if any difference in price there is.

Dead Link Removed

Re: Speedometer Gear?

Originally posted by ExplorGM
Robert,
What was the part number for the Speedo Gear. How did you determine which gear to buy?
Thanks,
Rick

The part number I needed for my '97 5-speed auto that originally came with 4.10 axle and 255 70R16 tires was C0DZ-B. It is the 19 tooth pink one. My original gear was the 20 tooth black one. One less tooth was all I needed. I used this formula: New Teeth = (Current Teeth x Speedo Reading)/Actual Speed. Be aware though that the table came from a Ford Ranger site. Unfortunately I don't have the link anymore so I don't know whom to give credit. The gear I used says that it goes on a manual transmission. When the parts lady first brought out the 19 tooth gear for the automatic, it was too big. Fortunately I took the gear out and brought it with me to compare (boy did it shift funny without the gear!). Here is the table that I used:

Manual Transmissions and all 4x4s:

16 tooth wine(C0DZ-A)
17 tooth white(C3DZ-C)
18 tooth yellow(C0DD-B)
19 tooth pink(C0DZ-B)
20 tooth black(C1DZ-A)
21 tooth red(C4OZ-A)

2WD Automatic Transmissions:

16 tooth blue(D0AZ-A)
17 tooth green(C7SZ-A)
18 tooth gray(C7SZ-B)
19 tooth tan(C7VY-A)
20 tooth orange(C8SZ-B)
21 tooth purple(D0OZ-B)

Speedo Gear

Thanks Robert!!
Rick

Wow, I just got my new 31x10.5's today, and they were a little cheaper. $609 for 4 and the protection plan, and adjustment on my allignment! I didn't realize how much more expensive it was for 16 rim tires. I'm not trying to make you feel bad. The point is we have damn good tires now. They look sweet, don't they boys?

differential cover size??

hey does anyone know what size differential cover i need to get??
8.8?
9?
12?

and also how hard are they to install??

thanx
:chug:

All explorers from 1991 till 2001 maybe some 2002 Sports (if they have them out yet) have the Ford 8.8 Rear axle. the covers are easy to install, unbolt the old one and drain the fluid, clean the surfaces of both the cover and the axle, put a bead of RTV on the rim of the cover, completly encircling each bolt hole, put it on the axle, snug up the bolts, let it sit for 20 minutes or so, torque the bolts down to coorrect LBS, Re-fill with proper weight gear oil.

where is the gear located? Is it in the dash?

nevermind. I got antsy. Did a search and found it! Sorry guys

I have the new BFG Mud-Terrain KM's 265/75R16 and I must say they are the best thing that has happened to my X. They fit perfect with no rubbing at all. They give a VERY beefy look. I did do a 2" lift by add-a-leafs by Rancho, and a TT. So an over all 3" of travel. The tires make a big differance. Rides much smoother too :bounce:

Did you have to get your Speedo reset?

I thought if you changed tire sizes that you had to get your speedometer reset.

you don't "have" to. But it will throw it off. I have 285/75 R16s and when my speedo says 60 I am doing 67. I learned to live with it!

What is the stock 16 in tire size on the X? I have stock 16 in setup and no lift, I would like larger tires. Is 265/75R16 a good size overall for you guys???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can get 265/75 under there stock with a little bit of trimming if you have the Sport or EB package. If not they will fit fine with no trimming.

Back