I have started the 4x4 convertion for real | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I have started the 4x4 convertion for real

Kris Guilbeaux

Elite Demon Secretary
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Austin,Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Nav, 99 Mounty, 98 Ex
Oh I am tired.... I have been working on my 4x4 conversion for all day I have gone pretty far. So far what has been done is the trans is out for getting a new output shaft I will have it back by tomorrow. I removed all the 2wd parts and installed all of the front end except the brakes. I esitmate the conversion will be complete by monday. I will be doing a complete write up on the install I am takeing pictures as I go.

Here is a pic of the front end in my Navajo

Dead Link Removed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You know Kris,
You are going to have to take it to Truckhaven for all of us to see. :D We have been waiting for this to happen for a long time now.:bounce: I'm glad it's coming along. :D :bounce:Can't wait to see the pics. :hammer:

I noticed multiple tools in the picture that resembled a hammer. Are they some sort of specialized instalation tools needed to do this conversion?

Those things come in handy when taking stuff apart... Tie rods, Bolts that just wont brake free, and it help when algining the new parts...
Some parts just dont what to fit...

Just kidding every thing bolted up...

[Edited by Kris Guilbeaux on 08-10-2000 at 09:47 PM]

How do you do the animation on your post?

Hi Phantom look at the top of the page when you are posting for smilies.
That is a hype link and it will take you to the smilies that are available for you to use and how to use them.
You can click on the word smilies above and it will take you there also. :bounce:

Update

I have the transmission back and it is bolt up with the BW 13-54 Manual shift t-case. The front is in completely wheel to wheel. I will need to get a major wheel alignment.

Kris,
We want to see Pictures lots and lots of pictures. :D

Kris, is it necessary to take the tranny off? If so, how hard is it to take off and on? Now that I see it can be done, it looks like that's my next major project.

Good luck!

Chris

The tranny does have to come out because there is one internal peice that needs to be changed out. The trans has a different output shaft on a 2wd than the 4wd. The trans has to come completely apart to change it out. I am not going to have the instrustions on how to change out the output shaft because I did not do it my self. I hired a transmission tech to do it for me for $100.00

This convertion is not a very good Idea if you want to save money, so far I have spent about $1500 in parts.

Ray here are some more pics:

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

Hey Kris, are the rotors you have on the 2wd parts slotted rotors?? Would they fit my 91 2wd?? If so, would you want to sell them to me? How much? Thanks

Looks good though, I wish I had the money and the skills to do somehitng like this. I think I could maybe do it if it weren't for the tranny deal. Anyways, looks great and I hope everything goes well.

Rock,

The rotors are powerstop crossdrilled. But the Entire 2wd system might be sold already. If the deal falls through I will start parting out the front end. I will have to see after the 4wd system is complete and in working order.

Yeah i was wondering about instaling that new output shaft. I thought you would have to take it apart and then have to put new fluid and stuff in it. Do you think it would be easier for me (I am pretty good with cars, but I learn as I go) if I found a junk 4x4 explorer that is for sale (like for parts) and bought that and just took everything off on the junk one and installed it on mine? I could probably have the tranny shop take the output shaft out of the 4x4 and convert it into the 2x4's tranny and then just take both of them home. The money isn't really a big deal, cause I am stubborn and wouldn't let my explorer go.

Thanks
Chris

If you find a complete junkyard explorer you need to make sure the parts off this car will work.

If you have a 93-94 You will need to make sure you get a 93-94. If you have a 91-92 all 91-94 explroers will work.
This is because of the front ABS.

Next you need to make sure nothing was damaged that you will need. If you want a manual T-case good luck. I had to get mine from Alabama(I live in Texas). Elec shift will require more work.

You will need to match the axle codes from your Explorer from the donor Explorer. For example if you have 3.27's in your rear(I bet that is what you have or the 3.08 since you have a 91) you will need a front end with 3.27's in the front.

Last if you have a complete donor and the trans is good just swap transmissons.

That was a good call. I have 3.08's in my rear. I really need new ones because of my 32's. Is everything the same between the 2 door and 4 door models? Yeah, I was thinking about just swapinh the tranny's but I just had mine serviced and repaired/rebuilt a little bit, so I kinda wanted to keep this one. The conversion won't happen for a bit unless I see a donor explorer for a sweet price, otherwise I'm just gona save some cash for a while.

Chris

every thing is the same 4dr to 2dr. except the rear drive shaft. I got my front end out of an XLT.

Would I have to get a new rear drive shaft? And do the gears have to match up? I thought I had seen some where that someone was running different gears in the rear than the front (4.10's in the rear and 3.73's in the front I want to say).... or I could just be stupid and out of my mine :confused:

Thanks
Chris

I am going with a manual t-case.

The rear drive is about a foot shorter in a 4x4 and the slip is the middle of the drive shaft instead of at the transmission.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Alright, sorry about bugging the hell out of you, but I have a couple more things. Can I have a manual T-Case even though I have an automatic tranny? How much harder is it to install in automatic t-case? And what type of hubs are you running?

Thanks
Chris

Back