What to use to clean MAS and IAC

Fischer

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Durango, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Explorer XLT 4x4
I am going to clean my MAS and IAC. What should I use. I keep looking for a prod. that says "Safe for MAF/MAS" at these crappy automotive stores here and I can't find jack.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Gumout carb cleaner. If you read the fine print on the back it will say "sensor safe"...

Nice.

Have you noticed that nearly all (at least the ones I have been in) the Auto stores here SUCK. You can't get anything. It is like they are all catered to Ricers and cosmetic add-ons. Well I'm rambling.

ie. Mobil1 oil and filters may as well be raredium.

There are only a few stores in town I even trust!!!
Of course I go to Pep Boys for all kinds of stupid stuff, like paint and wipers, and sometimes lube and stuff, but if I really need something I will go to my trusted Car Quest, right behind Phat City on S. Kipling. They may not have everything in stock but at least they are willing to order stuff in BEFORE you pay for it (avoid two trips) and the guys behind the counter actually have a clue about what I am talking about.

I am lucky, my best buddy works for Drivetrain INdustries as a parts guy, so most of the big stuff I get from him.

Phil Long ford is the only parts dept in town I will use for Ford only stuff, and believe it or not Autozone has the best prices on most of the stuff and they actually have the stuff in stock, plus you can find out if they have the part you need at www.autozone.com!!!

hrmm, gumouts sensor safe? I have some of that sitting around.

Any how-tos on how to clean this stuff? if theres a way to screw up I will do it, so if theres any trick to such, I need to know in advance :p

OKay well I'm only typing this once because if you use the search feature you can read for 3 days how to do it.

MAF:
-Go to Pep boys or wherever and buy yourself some security style T bits. These are the star bits that have a hole in teh center. If you look at the screws on your MAF sensor you will know what I am talking about, and they are great to have around when your buddy needs to clean his MAS.
-disconnect the - battery cable
-ONce you have the right bit in hand, unplug the wire harness from the mas sensor (screwdriver or packet knife, be careful, dont break it)
-Pull the plastic sensor from the aluminum MAS housing out straight up. Careful!!! dont bend or touch the elements on the ned of the sensor!!!!
-If you look at the sensor itself you will see two little wires running across, similar to the filiment in a light bulb, you may notice some light brown buildup on the little "hot wores" you may not, either way it;s probably dirty.
-Hold the sensor out and spray the carb cleaner on it, the goal here is to remove any buildup on the hot wire elements, so you dont need to soak the entire thing, just spray the little wires themselves.
-Let them dry!!
-re-install the o ring, and re-insert the sensor into the MAS housing, careful! you dont wont to bend the hot wires, they are fragile and MAS's are expensive to replace.
-re-install the security screws and wiring harness.
-go drink a beer
-hook the - battery cable back up and you are done.

Now I am aware that this proceedure does not work on all years, some of the later model trucks (darkfox this is you) have a big ass plastic housing around the MAS sensor and you cant exaclty remove the sensor from the MAS body, deal with it. Spray the carb cleaner in there as best you can, let it dry, re-install. The important part is to disconnect the battery so the computer can re-learn the new signals the clean MAS is sending.

Idle Air Control Valve:
-disconnect the - battery cable (same reason as above)
-Unplug the wiring harness from the IAC (again careful, pocket knife or screwdriver, dont break anything!!!)
-Unscrew the two 10mm bolts that hold the IAC assembly to the upper intake manifold. Be careful not to damage the gasket!!!
Take the IAC to your work bench, kitchen table, backyard, whereever you want to do the work.
-Remove the two phillips screws that hold the electronic sensor to the IAC body, set the electronic solenoid aside (it doesnt get dirty)
-Look at the IAC closely, a flashlight is good for seeing in there. Open and close it a few times, it's spring loaded, this will give you an idea of how this little sucker works. Just like it's called; The computer sends power to the electronic solenoid and this opens and closes the valve, allowing a precise amount of air to bypass the the throttle body, thus controlling the engine's idle.

NEato!! right?......................... boring.

You will see there is all sorts of black carbon built up on the little plunger inside the IAC.

-Spray a ton of carb cleaner into both sides of the IAC, let is soak for a few seconds. Get out your q tips, about 30 of them. Get busy, careful, you dont want to leave a ton of cotton behind. Make sure you open and close and turn the plunger several times while cleaning so you get the carbon off all 360 degree's of the round little sucker.
-let it dry, for a long time, make sure it is bone dry before you put it all back together.
-Dont be afraid to use the flashlight, look in there and make sure you got all the crap out.
-Put the electric solenoid back on the valve body with the two phillips screws.
-Put the gasket in place and bolt the IAC assembly back onto the upper intake
-hook the wiring harness back up
-go drink a beer
-re-connect the - battery cable

Fire up your 4.0L and notice the high idle, this is because you reset the EEC's memory and the engine now thinks it;s a new truck and it;s ready to re-learn the signals being sent to it from your now clean sensors (dirty sensors send different signals). Take the 4.0L for a nice leisurly drive, no hard core wheeling, no bracket racing, no jumping, just nice stop and go driving, this gives the computer a chance to re-learn and get you back in smooth operation in no time flat. When you get back most of your hesitation, loss of power, and rough idle problems will be gone, unless your fuel filter and throttle body are dirty, but thats another chapter...

I clean my IAC and MAS about once a year, the MAS sometimes a little more if I have been driving in the dirt alot, of course I'm **** when it comes to my truck so you might think I;m a little wacko, especailly after the beers you just drank..

thanks a lot, I'm sure everyone here (including myself) appreciates that how-to.

unfortunatley, that sounds WAY too risky for me to do. so I guess mines gonna stay dirty. :(

Originally posted by DarkFox1

unfortunatley, that sounds WAY too risky for me to do. so I guess mines gonna stay dirty. :(

Hey DarkFox, I did mine and it was actually pretty easy. Just an idea, maybe you can find a forum member in your area who would be willing to give you a hand and show you exactly what to do.

Thank you much for the informative insight 410 ;) I think I'll have one of my "know-it-all" boys watch over my shoulder when I try this, though.....

aaactually, I dont have the plastic housing like the 95-97 5.0s have, for some reason in mid 97 ford switched the 5.0s to have the same intake box as the 4.0L and the rubber tube.. go figure. I follow you, I'm just worried with all those "be careful here!!" kind of notes, careful is not my strong point :(

Its been driving better latley.. I think its the weather.

I would use an electrical cleaner(from Radio Hack) to clean the MAF and IAC. I'm pretty sure Carb cleaner leaves a light residue.

Well I wen't and got (a long time ago) some DiElectric Cleaner and some Carb Choke Cleaner (Gumout I think) which said "Safe for Oxygen sensors" etc.

I did the cleaning and I have had no problems yet. I still think that I need a new IAC though. The humming and such are getting bad.

Inject about 3 or 4 ounces of Seafoam into your IAC and see if it quiets it down.

Robert Inject about 3 or 4 ounces of Seafoam into your IAC and see if it quiets it down.

Ok maybe i am from the east coast, but what the heck is Seafoam?????
:frustrate

:confused:

410, good information, not sure I necessary like the idea of cleaning out the IAC with carb cleaner though, like osmeone else mentioned it does tend to leave a bit of itself ont he product you are cleaning :). Electrical parts cleaner is a good way to go on something like that, plus my Hayes manual says in big bold letters regarding the IAC: "DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CLEAN IAC WITH CARB CLEANER, AS IT MAY DAMAGE INTERNAL ELECTRICAL COMPONENTS".

410Fortune-Remove the two phillips screws that hold the electronic sensor to the IAC body, set the electronic solenoid aside (it doesnt get dirty)

It looked like 401 covered that in his post. To remove the electronic sensor. Thus leaving the rest. His response seemed legit unless i missed something myself. I haven't had one apart yet, but my 93 is next.

Originally posted by Phat_Bastard

Ok maybe i am from the east coast, but what the heck is Seafoam?????
:frustrate

:confused:

I used the Sea Foam Motor Treatment in my IAC. So far the howling hasn't came back after about a month now.
Dead Link Removed

Robert So far the howling hasn't came back after about a month now.

Oh I see, never heard of the stuff, i guess cause its marine life product kinda. But looks ok for what we need in our explorers. The opnly thing is they dont mention 6cyl or 8 cyl motors on the pages i looked at, just small cycle eng's and diesel apps.

I put 50k on my Navajo and have never touched to IAC. So i guess i am excited i got something to work on that my inrpove my rough idle and ping esp during running low octane fuels.

So what kinda howling were you having??? :smoke:

Go up to the top and press "Search" and then type in "Seafoam" in the search box. You'll find several threads regarding it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You might try Berryman cleaner. Seems to work better than gumout and not as toxic or smelly. Although I wouldn't use either on IAC. :cool:

Back