Aaaargh! Simple install becomes PITA! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aaaargh! Simple install becomes PITA!

Fredness

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Tejas!
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Sport Trac Adrenalin
....I need to vent.
This is the first time I've done an Explorer install, and we have had this used '97 4.0L/5sp/4wd (control trac) Sport for about 3 months. I have the little basket deal in the right rear and the head unit was an AM/FM, so I figure it's the standard sound system, piece of cake!
Santa dropped off an Alpine CD/changer controller deck (CDA-7892 w/ SW level control), Polk EX368 rear speakers, Polk GXR57's for the front and a 100W-10" SW "camoflage" enclosure for the back. I ordered this stuff after I checked out the Audio forum for hints.
Once I got the head unit out, I noticed 4 large black/red speaker wires crimped on to the butchered pigtail of the head unit, and the standard Ford audio connectors were completely gone. All the wires had 1-3 crimps per wire and were completely different colors than what the Haynes manual says.
Now the Apline harness that was painstakingly soldered to the Ford adapters were useless and had to be cut. I yanked out the cheesey wire and started ohming the lines to the speakers to see what the problem was. All of them were bad?!?!?
No way, I figure. I'll start the SW install and figure the wires out later. When I pull the right rear panel off (oh my, what a pain!), and I find two 12 wire connectors dangling from the wall, and a couple holes where an amp was mounted (Premium Sound System!). Doh!
I pulled the harness completely out, and reused the ground and remote leads (after ohming them!). I pulled the pins/wires out of the connectors that were for the preamp level outputs, and brought the speaker wires back to the head unit. Now, the speaker wires check good and I can use the factory connectors at the speakers.
The power wires to the original unit were 18ga (very small), so I have a fused 8ga line running to the battery (for the constant hot) and going to a 1/8 farad 15vdc stiffening capacitor and then to the power leads for the head unit and SW. The grounds all tie in at the (-) side of the cap and follow more 8ga back to the point where the battery ties to the radiator support gound.
Tomorrow (day 3 of the install!), I get to mount the head unit and do the driverside speakers. Whew! I have pix incase someone else gets in to this mess!

This started out as a simple head unit replacement too...

Attachments

• pic00008.jpg
    pic00008.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 322

Got almost all of it done today. I just have to trouble shoot the subwoofer, I think that the amps output level is too low. Otherwise the head unit, capacitor and 4 speakers are great! It is amazing to be running 50 watts per channel in to 4 channels and not have the lights dim when you crank it up.
I took the trash bin out (that storage tray in the back), so if anyone needs it, e-mail me.
I took all the foam insulation off the back of it and attached it behind the rear speakers with 3M's 77 super adhesive. Definately lowered some of that tinny sound from the sound bouncing off bare metal.
The old Dead Link Removed and Dead Link Removed (Ford Premiums) are on ebay, if anyone is interested.

Originally posted by mahieber
This started out as a simple head unit replacement too...

Hey I was noticing that your pic shows some wires that would be under your drivers seat. Did they go anywhere? Did you have power seats? I am hoping that what I am seeing is wiring for power seats, but that you didn't have power seats. I want to install power seats but don't know if any wiring is already in place for them.

Back