remote starter install problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

remote starter install problem

g8r

Reaction score
City, State
Burlington, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
I have got all the necessary panels off and have connected some wires. I have to go to work tomorrow and I am worried if I do this wrong I could screw up the vehicle.

Its a Bulldog remote starter, Rs82.

Whats confusing me is that all the wire diagrams I have for this 95 Explorer show 1 ignition and 2 accessory wires. However I have found 2 ignition wires ( green and purple) and three acc wires ( two are gray and yellow and one is black and green).

According to Bulldog instructions it says to connect one wire to all the accessory wires. Pardon my electrical ignorance but doesnt this negate the vehicles three separate wires independence? Does it matter?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you look at their website?

i had that and i just connected it to 1 accesory wire (blower)

"i had that and i just connected it to 1 accesory wire (blower)"

Did you have two ignition wires?

Okay, I did it like Bulldog states , however it wont start with the remote. How do I know if the unit is recieving the signal from the remote?

did you get the bypass module?

no i didnt think i needed it. even if i did shouldnt it try to start?

try it with the key in the ignition. just put it in to get the chip close, don't turn it, then try the remote. That should tell you if you have it wired wrong or if all you need is the bypass module.

Thanks . Thats a good idea but I dont have one of those types of anti-theft system. I will try just to make sure.

It's a passive anti theft system, not sure exactly what that is but I'm pretty sure there is a coded chip in the key. Let us know if it works.

That didnt work. The Bulldog manual doesnt show the 95 Explorer as one needing the bypass. I am pretty damn sure I wired it right. I guess I will call Bulldog and play hookie tomorrow. I am just wondering when the remote is pressed is there any way of checking to see if the module is getting the signal?

did you see this on the bulldog site?

"Note: If your installation guide reads RS82I / RS85I / RS79I only then there is a correction in the manual.

The Yellow with Black (starter crank) and the White with Black (Accessory) wire need to be switched in the order they are shown in the manual. The owner’s manual on the web site is correct. The Yellow with Black plugs in closest to the 9 pin harness.

Thank You "

If the bulldog remote does not work the module is probably having problems with the remote. Mine had the same problem - I could start it with the key but not with the remote. I cleared the system by removing the neg battery cable for about 5 min. then I connected it up and everything worked.

Ya I saw the correction. As for disconnecting the battery , they say not to if you have air bags.

Originally posted by g8r
Ya I saw the correction. As for disconnecting the battery , they say not to if you have air bags.

really???

Ya they say some error code coud be displayed on the dash that only a dealer could fix. I dont really understand that, what if your battery dies?

Did you try this - - -

Q: I had my vehicle serviced and my remote starter system no longer responds to the transmitter commands. What do I need to do?

A: The positive side of the battery may have been disconnected. When reconnected the system will revert back to Lockout Mode. To correct this situation, simply disconnect the module from both wiring harnesses, wait approximately one minute then plug them back in. Your transmitter should now work properly.

I will try that, thanks.

g8r

You should hear the module make a sort of a click sound right before it starts .

Takes like a second or two after pushing the button.

If no click then something is probably wired wrong.

When wiring up a bulldog one needs to go over the wiring several times and only hook up the bare necessitys
first .

There are several hOT KEY ON WIRES AND SEVERAL
ACC. WIRES . just use the tester and find one each and hook up the appropriate wire to them,
these systems work pretty good but they do leave you quite in the dark at installation
cam

If any one can trouble shoot my schematic that would be great. The green/purple are the ignition and the grey/yellow are acc as is the black and green.

http://voleater.20fr.com/images/rs82i.gif

For the bare neccesaties would I just connect one ignition and one acc?

Thanks again

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can't see your diagram.

"We're sorry, but this page is currently unavailable for viewing."

What about your red/L blue wire for the starter?

Since you only used one ignition wire you can use the second one for the second acc. wire.

I installed my bulldog with the T harness and bypass module according to the wiring diagram from bulldogs site and had no problems what so ever.

Back