• Register Today It's free!

'02 jack points

GoldMax99

Reaction score
City, State
miami, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLS
Being that this is my 1st post, let me say what a fine job the admin and mods have done on this site. I've been reading for a few months now and decided to finally join. Keep up the good work. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Now my question, which is very simple, what are the jack points that are recommended for a '02 explorer from the front and rear? I have a 3-ton floor jack and 3-ton jack stands.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i dont usually jack from the front or rear on my 2nd gen, i use the side frame rails for jack points, but if you have to jack from the rear use the hitch if you have one, and i wouldnt jack from the front unless you can get to the frame somehow (unlikely) Except i believe there is a small (very small) tab under there somewhere to jack from (check the owners book) but i have never used it. good luck and welcome to the site.

Thanks slravene.

I checked the car manual and didn't find any info on this. I just ordered the Ford service manual and I'm hoping it has some mroe info. Anyone else have a '02 and jacked it up from the front or rear, or does this truck only jack from the sides?

Is the '02 a sport or is it Independent rear? Anyways, from the front you can lift it from the lower control arms or the cross member. The rear if it's a sport, you can lift it on the axle -- if it's IRS then you should be able to find a frame piece somewhere around there. I'm not exactly familiar with the new IRS. Good luck. Lift it -- hear a crunch...move it to another position.

-Drew

ive always been pretty cautious about jacking from the crossmember, but if i remember right, the tab that is "supposed" to be used is attached to your lower control arm. Ive seen some crossmembers that are pretty crunched up from being layed on some rocks...

I jack my truck up from frame rails at the points specified. Right where the stock jack would go under the diamond cutouts on frame. I have not tired to completely jack up one side from middle of frame rail or jack up the front completely from cross member. I rather do it the safe way from jack points one at a time and then jackstand them and move to the next side.

Thank you all for your input. I did search before posting but all I found is what's in the owner's manual and in the factory service manual which is like many of you posted under the diamonds. I was just hoping to find a way of jacking an entire side at once, which is how I do it for my sedan. I just jack up the front by the cross member and place the jack stands under the side jack points.

I guess my next question is how do you jack from the diamonds and then try to place the jack stands on the same spot? I doubt there is enough room. Or do you place the jack stands somewhere other than the diamonds?

I don't think a couple of inches in either direction as a jack or jack stand point will hurt anything. If you like jack just far enough from the diamonds to slide a jack stand directly under it. I don't recomend jacking one side (left or right) completely. I don't thinks thats so safe. A lot more stress is put on the center of the frame rail and your jack. I would do one point at a time and then jack stand it.For the front you can just jack up the front from the crossmenber then slide 2 jack stands under it each equal distance from the middle.Don't forget to chock your wheels..

TruckU by "sides" I meant front and rear not left and right. Sorry for the confusion. So I can jack from the cross member. I'm glad to hear that.

The rear is the hard part. I hear a lot of people dont mind jacking from the differential, But I would not do it. If for some reason your diff was the 1/1000 that does crack you will be screwed. If you wanted to get the rear completely off the ground i guess i would jack up each rear jack point one at a time and place jack stand. That way you get the the back safely off the ground. I do know people who only use the differential and have never had issues.

Use the hitch (if you have one) in the rear...works perfectly if not....then jack from the frame directly in front of the rear tire.

For the front I just use the crossmember. I haven't jacked up the rear of it. LOL Is the diffy in those strong enough to jack from?

Thank you all fellows. I would not do the diff. either especially since it points that out in the manual as a big NO-NO.

Do it all the time in mine. But I wouldn't trust the one in the '02s

Dont know if the front suspension is similar on the 02s but here is the "factory" jack point on mine...(ive never used it, but the book says thats what it is)
picture017edit7ec.jpg

On the 02s 4dr all the jack points are along the frame rails, just behind the front wheels and in front of rear wheels and marked by diamond shaped cutout in it. The front cross member is huge and flat on the bottom. It's a great front jack point.

I have a 3-ton extended reach floor jack and I lift the entire back by placing the jack saddle in the middle of the spare tire. Then I place the jack stands on the side rails as specified. I have actually seen someone crack the differential cover on an F-250 dually with a jack.

Back