04 Driver Mirror Fell out | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

04 Driver Mirror Fell out

cgreenwood

Reaction score
City, State
atlanta ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
I have an 04 Explorer with power mirror. Last week someone walked by and folded the mirror to the back. A couple of days later the mirror glass came out with part of the guts. Nothing appears broken. There are 2 white plastic parts sticking out that are split that go in the 2 motors on the mirror housing and a couple of spring wires and a black plastic triangle that swivels a little.

I can't figure out how to get all this lined up in order to put the mirror back in or if I need to take something else off to reassemble.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the motor is damaged, the entire mirror will need to be replaced. Also, make sure the pins still have the balls on the end. If they are broken, you will need a new mirror. If the glass is damaged, it is now available separately. The LH side, from Ford, is p/n 1L2Z-17K707-CA and the RH side is 1L2Z-17K707-CB. The glass itself should run around $36.00. Just so you know, you should give your Ford parts person at least the last 8 digits of the VIN if you need the complete assembly since there are SEVERAL combinations for the mirrors.

I also have to replace the whole assembly seems as though I need to remove the door panel is this a hard job?

Our techs say it can be done in about an hour. Just be careful you don't break the trim panel. Those are expensive. Make sure you remove all the screws and lower the window. Most of the trim panels slide up nowadays as opposed to the old "Christmas tree" clips that will never be used more than once.

Same problem here, the glass came out with the guts attached (not all by itself, mind you. Someone else in the house who shall remain nameless smacked it while backing out of the garage :rolleyes:)

I messed around with it for a long time, and finally got the 2 split parts back in, plus the tripod thingy attached (NOT EASY, LET ME TELL YOU). But it seems to still flop around more than it should. Is there some trick to reassembling these things? Or should I just look for a new mirror?

Although my Ex has not had this problem, my '04 mustang did. I just replaced the entire assembly, lots easier, I'm thinking.

OK, looks like replacement of the mirror assembly is the best option. Anyone have any recommendations for places to buy a replacement mirror? Are the aftermarket ones any good? Are there some that are better than others? Thanks!

(Also, if you have suggestions for places to get a service manual, please let me know ;) )

Back