04 Ex - Brown Wire Mod - Not working? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

04 Ex - Brown Wire Mod - Not working?

Johnny Glenn

Reaction score
City, State
Charleston, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
02-04 Explorers
Thanks for looking in -- I've cut the correct brown wire at the transfer case but the front wheels are still engaging or at least turning while on the lift. Is that normal?...should I disconnect front diff also? Thanks -- I'm battling a problem w/ the Auto 4x4 so I'm just trying to disengage it entirely for now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should not disconnect the front Diff, that can cause major problems.

Do you know what axle ratio you have? The Brown Wire Mod won't work if you do not have a Limited Slip Diff.

Thanks for the advice -- I guess the front wheels turn when on the lift but don't really "engage" as 4WD because when I test drove the vehicle it no longer had the Auto 4X4 problem. The problem occured from having different size tires on the vehicle and unsure how long someone drove it like that -- so I decided just to disengage for now.

Another (and easier;)) way to kill power to the transfer case is to remove the #17 and #18 fuse(under the hood/drivers side). With those removed, the 4x4 cannot engage.

Are you sure on an 04 model? I had an 03 model owners manual which showed those fuse locations but in 04 they changed things up, got rid of the control module etc, and it didn't look like 17 and 18 were the same. Thanks

Are you sure on an 04 model? I had an 03 model owners manual which showed those fuse locations but in 04 they changed things up, got rid of the control module etc, and it didn't look like 17 and 18 were the same. Thanks

I am not 100%, but I figured the biggest change from '02-03 to '04-05 was the drive by wire for the throttle. Have you looked under the hood to see if the fuse box is where I mentioned?

Back