04 Expo no crank no start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

04 Expo no crank no start

sparky222

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Expo
Hows it going new member here although Ive read in past to gain knowledge on problems with my dads f350 turbo no crank no start probs now i thought i would jump in ive got a 2004 Explorer 4.0 v6 went in to start yesterday morning and turned over a few times then quit suddunly now just a click under the hood no previous issues. it was low on fuel would that cause a sensor to go out and no crank no start. Its not battery, starter, anti theft. any help appreciated thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am at the point now of buying parts and replacing any suggestions on what you would buy first. It seemed like a fuse or sensr went out bu the way it quit cranking suddonly. no fuses blown swapped relays around everything seems ok. only one not checked ignition relay but I do get a loud click under hood passenger side. what part would you buy first thanks
spark222

it got down to wind chill 3 the other night im thinking this had something to do with it going on two days and no results. Had the starter tested its good . looking into the anti theft system although light night rapidly flashing when trying to start. still hoping i'll run into the burnt wire somewhere. if it is anti theft any direction on what part to replace first.

I'm going to move this thread to the section of the Forum dedicated to your Model,,
should get hit there by a member with experience in this,

Welcome to the Forum,,

I am thinking the tank was ran low on gas might of sucked up some water and hard feeze hit seized up the pump. Would that cause the engine to turn over a few times then nothing now. no crank no start . This would be the most important question if any one could answer when you turn key to on position what sound does the fuel pump initially make and for how long. thanks for any help when i get this resolved i wil post diagnoses for anybody else with the same problem.

My 04 just had the starter do the same thing. The solenoid clicked but no start. Removed the starter and it worked perfectly every time. Replaced it to find that the starter was the problem. The starter would try to engage but was too weak to turn over the motor. Off the truck it tests good, on the truck it's got no power.

That may be it. I had it off it tested good put it back on and when trying to start no click or power to the yellow wire. I jumped it with a screwdriver it would turn the engiine then all I get was a click. Going to buy one anyway its better then dropping the tank. thanks

I am thinking the tank was ran low on gas might of sucked up some water and hard feeze hit seized up the pump. Would that cause the engine to turn over a few times then nothing now. no crank no start .

Nothing in the tank will prevent the engine from cranking. A bad fuel pump would only prevent engine starting and running.

Don't know if you have 4.0 or 4.6 engine but the V8s have a known problem with a starter wire rub. See this sticky link:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287097

No it is not fuel pump. Definatly something electrical. Late last night I ws feeling goood got in and jammed the radio and it was cutting in and out. new battery. Going to haul it to a shop today get some tests ran on it

solution was reprogram key it was throwing code b1213 226.00 later im rolling maybe this will help someone someday

Back