1992 Explorer Sport instrument cluster lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1992 Explorer Sport instrument cluster lights

srinda

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Sport
One by one the lights have gone out, only the one on the far right works now. The bulbs need to be replaced as does the tachometer which stays at 3500 rpm no matter what speed I'm going. I purchased 4 "161" bulbs but don't know where to begin. Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

The cluster uses "194" bulbs (i forget how many in total, but maybe 12-15 or so).

You have to pull the front fascia off that surrounds the cluster, vents & radio (after removing the ashtray mount, it just pulls off/snaps on). Then 4 (I think) screws holding the cluster in place. Pull it forward a bit, disconnect the speedometer cable and two electrical connections and remove the cluster.
Each bulb goes into a little socket carrier that twists and locks into place on the backside of the cluster.
Replace each bulb and then reverse order of disassembly.

Not sure your tach issue... Maybe the removal & replacing of the electrical plugs might help? (oxidized connections, which I've seen cause the bulbs to quit working also).

Hope that helps

Back