1994 Explorer XLT 5 speed with ongoing hydraulic clutch/transmission issues. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1994 Explorer XLT 5 speed with ongoing hydraulic clutch/transmission issues.

SmithDL

Reaction score
City, State
Walla Walla, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer 5 spd
in May 2009 my motor seized and I had it replaced with a rebuilt. This was done by a friend of a friend who is a retired mechanic. Nothing was done with the transmission except connect it to the rebuilt and diagnostic came back good when the replacement motor was finished. Motor runs like a champ but last December the throw out barring started clicking when I would disengage the clutch. Then it became hard to put into gear. Stopped driving it and had a mechanic friend look at it (didn't pull it apart due to lack of money to have him dissect it.) He said the transmission (bell housing) was seperated from the motor about a 1/4". He put dot fluid in and drove it around the block. Clicking noise was gone and it went into gear just fine for about 3 blocks. Then the dot fluid poured out (not sure where it was coming out of... engine and tranny or top of case?). He also found some metal shavings around the bell housing but that could have been from the sloppy job the last mechanic did in replacing the motor. Like I said he didn't touch the tranny except to reattach it.

I decided I would have to sell it because the quote for rebuilding the tranny and fixing the throw out barring/clutch was around $1200... That's more than the rig is worth!

About a week later my boyfriend drove it from the mechanics shop home (about 8 miles) and although the clicking noise is still there, it goes into gear with no problem now and seems to be just fine. Haven't noticed any dot fluid leaks but it only been driven short distances (test drives) since then.

Couple of friends and other Ford folks think it's just the clutch that needs to be bleed. The mechanic say's I need a rebuilt tranny because of the mystery metal shavings he found...

Has anyone had this issue and does anyone have any suggestions? This was my daily driver so I'm without wheels now and don't want to sell it for $750 if it just needs a few things done. This is the only problem with my rig. I replaced the fuel filter, new plugs and wires and new battery last summer. It purrs like a kitten.

Back